Skip to main content

whats the 411 on this piece and how does it rate with all the Neve stuff out their these days. Great River (MP2-NV), Brent Averill (1272), Neve (model 1272) and the Vintech (Dual 72)?

thanks

Topic Tags

Comments

KurtFoster Fri, 01/24/2003 - 08:16

My understanding is the Great Rive pres are a design that is supposedly relatively colorless. Recordists who do a lot of acoustic and classical work seem to prefer them. The Vintech is reportedly a knock off of the early Trident designs. The Brent 1272 is IMO unremarkable. I have used them before and I wasn't impressed. There is no such thing as a Neve 1272. These are amplifier blocks that were used in later range Neve consoles for summing and headphone drivers. They are a part of what was used to build the pres but they are incomplete. The 9098's I have are the pres and an EQ section from the newest Rupert Neve design and the pres are exactly the same thing as what you were asking about I believe. Fats
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Tannoy, Dynaudio, Blue Sky, JBL, Earthworks, Westlake, NS 10's :D , Genelec, Hafler, KRK, and PMC
Those are good. …………………….. Pick one. ---------------------------------------------------------------------

KurtFoster Sat, 01/25/2003 - 10:13

Bobby Loux,
Your welcome. Also on this subject, is a new product on the market you and other readers would probably be interested in. These are a new Neve "clone" stereo preamp built by long time audio freak Dan Alexander. Mr. Alexander has probably got one of the largest equipment collections this side of Allen Sides and he has a stellar reputation in the business. I took notice of a review of his new pre amp package in the latest (01/03) issue of Pro Audio Review. These are utilizing input and output transformers from original Neve consoles but have a brand new cloned class A preamp based on Neve 1073, 1064, 1066 and 1089 preamps and not the previously mentioned 1272 line summing amp blocks from the early 70's 8014, 8016, 8048 and BCM-10 mixers that were never used by Neve as a pre amp. These received a glowing review by Dr. Fred Bashour and are very affordable in comparison to other products of the same ilk. The price on these puppies is listed as $1,150 a pair with the power supply. You may contact Dan Alexander at http://www.danalexanderaudio.com. .... Fats
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tannoy, Dynaudio, Blue Sky, JBL, Earthworks, Westlake, NS 10's :D , Genelec, Hafler, KRK, and PMC
Those are good. …………………….. Pick one.
------------------------------------------------------------------------