Skip to main content

i've been planning on being able to record live gigs besides on my project studio!
i've bought a MOTU 828 mkII, a few mics and so!
i was planning on buying a a cheap 8 pre-amp unit for recording live! already have 8 pres from my mixer! they would go to the line ins of the motu! The ones i was seeing was the m-audio octane, digimax, Behringer ada 8000 and look alikes...
Not looking for the best, just something to work with...
I'm planning on buying maybe a 2 channel Sebatron but just for studio!

but now i see that the Behringer ddx 3216 digital mixer has dropped it's price by half... it now costs around 660 euros! bargain?
it has 16 channels and so on!

my questions are the following:

1. you think it's worth it? (this way i don't even need to take the other mixer, just the ddx and the MOTU with the laptop

2. can i use this as a control surface? i want to mix and record in my studio with Cubase sx3 and cool edit pro! can i use this to mix as a control surface? i would use it's preamps too for drums and so! still want the 2 channel Sebatron but would use it maybe for kick and snare...

3. if it works as a control surface can i mix 24/96? it says that it's only 24/48 but as a control surface it is midi messages right?

can anyone help me out here?

thanks in advance!

Topic Tags

Comments

Doublehelix Sun, 12/05/2004 - 17:33

inLoco wrote:
1. you think it's worth it? (this way i don't even need to take the other mixer, just the ddx and the motu with the laptop

It is definitely worth it. I have one that I am retiring from my studio and transferring to a live board. Works quite well for that application. It only has 12 XLR channels however.

inLoco wrote:
2. can i use this as a control surface? i want to mix and record in my studio with cubase sx3 and cool edit pro! can i use this to mix as a control surface? i would use it's pre amps too for drums and so! still want the 2 channel sebatron but would use it maybe for kick and snare...

Works perfectly as a control surface for Cubase, although I cannot comment on CEP. I never used the mic pres for recording, so I cannot comment there.

inLoco wrote:
3. if it works as a control surface can i mix 24/96? it says that it's only 24/48 but as a control surface it is midi messages right?

You cannot monitor through it unless you feed it an analog signal since it cannot convert from 24/96, so you will need another D/A for monitoring, but it will work fine as a control surface, no matter what the sample rate is.

inLoco Sun, 12/05/2004 - 17:44

thanks DH for your answer! i'm not sure if i'll be using 96 (at least live no) but if i'd mix 24/96 i'd use the motu 828mkII as d/a and the ddx just as control surface!
as for the pres if i'd go record a live gig of my band i'd use 8 pres for drums, 2 for electric guitars, 2 for keys. Then the 2 from the 828mkII for vocals! then spdif for bass...

don't know about this settings, but i do think 660 euros is a bargain! i wasn't planning on buying a mixer or control surface but this way i can use some features! even if they're not that special...

Doublehelix Mon, 12/06/2004 - 04:39

I bought the DDX as a control surface and cue mix generator (headphones), and it has worked wonderfully in that capacity. As mentioned, I have never actually tried the mic pres on anything "real", nor have I tried the A/D, so I cannot pass judgement there.

At the time, the price was great for a 16-channel control surface, plus it gave me a flexible signal routing system for headphone mixes.

I have now got a Mackie Control + XT unit, plus a 32X8 analog board so the DDX got moved to the live rig where it works really well.

anonymous Sun, 12/11/2005 - 20:24

ddx3216 monitor mixes with effects

My band is using the ddx3216 for our live sound. The thing that we are having trouble with is getting signals (with processing) to our monitors.
We use 8 chanels for our main mix and we have those set up just like we want them, however, we need to have 4 seperate monitor mixes and can't understand how to route them with effects to the multi outs. I mixed the 8 main chanels to the 4 aux sends and routed the aux sends to multi outs 1-4 and I get a good mix - level wise - to the monitors, but doing it that way we can't use effects or compression for that mix.
Is there a way to get 4 seperate mon mixes with effects and if so could you give me detailed set up? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

x

User login