Skip to main content

Hello all,

I recently picked up a Sennheiser e901 mic (I believe classified as a boundary mic). I went to test it out to make sure it wasn't DOA, and at first I thought maybe it was! I couldn't hear anything back through the main speakers as I tapped on the screen. Phantom was on, too. I also attempted to talk through it and still heard nothing.

But then I turned the volume all the way up on the power amps (Mackie units for live sound reinforcement), and it was at that point that I could hear that SOMETHING was being created by the mic. Yet, I have never heard anything like that (and to be fair, I have never yet had experience with boundary mics). What I heard was a bit of a deep echo-chamber kind of sound.

I also should mention that I simply held the mic in my hand... it was not mounted to a hard platform.

I'm a bit puzzled-- is this just the way a boundary mic sounds? Just something for richening up the ambience a little? i have heard of people using the e901 as a kick mic. and this is throwing me a little. I mean, what with having to have the power amps cranked all the way up to be able to hear anything? That was weird to me.

Comments from anyone with some experience on the e901's? Does it sound like I might have a bad mic, or is this the way they are?

Comments

bent Thu, 03/27/2008 - 19:27

is this just the way a boundary mic sounds? Just something for richening up the ambience a little????

No, something's wrong either in the mic or in your signal path -
did you try simply swapping the mic cable?

If Codemonkey's post really is above mine (i.e. not mysteriously deleted :lol: ) then check all those parts as well.

x

User login