Skip to main content

You can see in my previous post, (Dead Link Removed), why i've chosen this option.

I am having a hard time getting my head around the routing w/ the digital card installed, can someone please explain?

http://

My thoughts are this. I can use 4 channels of this with my delta omni which which has 4 analog ins. Now if I ad the optional ADC card I can send 2 out the S/PDIF ins on my delta card, giving me 6 ins, right? Great, now when I upgrade my interfac I should choose one that has either 8 ch AES/EBU or ADAT, right? And because I have 8 ch of conversion, I could get the cheapest card that has stable drivers and the right connectors, right?

And so the 4 pre's on the ISA428 would be routed to digital outs 1-4 and the additional 4 channels into the converter would be routed to digital outs 5-8, am I still on track?

So would I set the card to be master and have to actually run a cable specifically for word clock to the bnc connectors on the 428?

any help would be, um. helpfull. .I'm trying to get my head around this before I start making large purchases...I'm having a tough time visualizing the connections.

Comments

anonymous Thu, 05/12/2005 - 09:09

hey imagineaudio, you can lock to a spdif signal, so you shouldn't need wordclock. i have a 428 as well, and am still waiting for the a/d card (backorder :evil: ), but i would suggest buying a unit with aes routing. aes is less susceptible to jitter and should serve you better in the long run (no pun about cable length intended!)

as for devices to upgrade to, i would stongly encourage the lynx aes-16, info here: http://www.lynxstudio.com/aes16.html --i have the lynx l22 and ls-aes interfaces, and couldn't be happier with the routing flexibility, and online support. the freakin' vp of the company will respond to your posts online, and all the techies there are familiar with many configurations. also, if you ever want to upgrade to, say, another 428 or something else, you have another 8 channels of aes input available on the aes 16.

hope this helps,
-eric.

edit: one more thing - you would need some sort of d/a for playback. the aes 16 has no analog outs. you could buy a 2-channel d/a converter, and route everything to the physical output on the aes-16 that goes to the d/a.

anonymous Thu, 05/12/2005 - 15:18

So can you lock to the AES signal as well, or ADAT for that matter...

no, you would want word clock in this case. and my experience with the lynx has been nothing short of great. i would definitely say sync the 428 to the aes-16. when my a/d card for the 428 comes in, i'll sync that to the L22. lynx just has so many routing and expansion capabilities, that you can really customize your front end and expand lynx accordingly. i've already pretty much got my front end routing figured out, as it is now:

4 channels - sytek mpx-4aii and 4 channels isa 428 into ls-aes.

and eventually:
2 channels api or neve into L22 analog ins

2 channels grace lunatec v3/apogee mini-me into L22 aes ins for an eventual total of 12 channels sync'ed to a kick bootie lynx clock!