Skip to main content

I have a M149 and IMO it's a very good mic, although very expensive IMHO. :)

I read opinions every now and then about it on the forums, a while ago Jon (Atack) said the mic was losing shootout after shootout and Jules said he has two M149's and he uses them only on toms.

Now please don't misunderstand me, I respect Jon's and Jules' opinion very much although I disagree.

Al Schmitt has 5 M149's and in his opinion it's a great mic, as I read on Al's forum.

I'm very much interested in opinions from engineers who have experienced the mic

Comments

Guest Wed, 12/12/2001 - 14:04

To make clear my use of the M149's at my studio..

On the latest project I am doing I am using them on..

Toms
Bass Gtr amp
Lead vocals
Backing vocals

As this band use tons of layered vocals ala Beach Boys, there will probably be about 30+ tracks on the recording from the M149's alone!

OK?

:)

In bigger studios I also use them as distant 'room' mic's.

Great mic IMHO

:)

Jules

KEF Wed, 12/12/2001 - 16:34

I have a 149 in my collection and I think it may be slightly over-hyped. Like every mic, it can't be used on everything. I like it the best on acoustic guitar and as a mono piano mic, suprisingly as it may seem, the mic I love for vocals(over the 149) is an old Neumann UM57, not a very well known mic.

Ang1970 Wed, 12/12/2001 - 22:16

IMO the M149 is a Great mic. However it is a tad overpriced, probably because of the name recognition. It can be used on everything, and sounds great on most things, but it does have its own sound. You may find it's not the best choice if you have a lot of cool mics to A/B against it. But it will get you where you need to go 99.5% of the time if it's the only mic in the studio.

I wouldn't kick it out of bed, but I wouldn't want to be the one paying for it.