Skip to main content

I have a PT mix3 and dearly need a console. I like the idea of Neve. I''ve used the VR legend and enjoyed its company but the size or price. I've seen the baby V but have not heard it. I love the fact it has comp/Gate on every channel. There is one for $18,ooo 24 I/O 8 grp. It makes sens to me, how about you?>
L-

Comments

anonymous Thu, 04/11/2002 - 03:51

Cos i is da nevefreak.... it is my bound and sworn duty to impart neve info the best op my ability.

I have a mate who has just set up a new studio based around a 24 mono 4 stereo Baby V, with big alishad rig and more outboard than abbey rd!

They very cool ..... but totally diffent from anything remotely classic with 1073's, 1081 33114 etc. They both have transformers but thats where the similarities end.

V's are all chip/ic based, they have nice and sweet EQ and compressor/gates and most importantly have headroom for days!

The main thing to watch with these is the caps. V's had a problems wherby they needed to be recapped more often than most desks cos of the heat that they generate. Best get a tech to do a comprehensive checkout. U really cant afford to buy a dud!

But overall they are killer little desks with heaps of great and useable features and best of all they sound great!

PEACE
Wiggy :p

mixfactory Thu, 04/11/2002 - 13:12

There is one for $18,ooo 24 I/O 8 grp. It makes sens to me, how about you?>

I'll echo the sentiments before, have someone check it out. Also is this the one with the weird center section? If so then avoid it like the plague(too many repair problems). By the way, you say you have a Mix3 system and need an analog console with 24ins? What specifically for? I don't know, when doing a anaolg/digital mix, 24ins will be eaten up in no time. I would think you need more returns so you can avoid the whole "digital" experience. My 2cents.

mixfactory Sat, 04/13/2002 - 18:36

Yo idolsound,

I did the submixing thing for a while on a 24 input mixer for a while(API I think) and I always wished I had more inputs. Once you enter the analog realm, you are going to want to do more(busing comps and EQ's, effect returns, etc). I think the name is sexy, but bottomn line for 18 grand is it practical? My 2 cents.

Guest Sat, 04/13/2002 - 18:46

Those Newer Neves arent the 'real deal' primo Neves folks write home to mom about.

Get a Dangerous 2-Bus and blow the $16K change on outboard classics that you can use on both tracking AND mixdown... (what I am doing at the moment)

http://www.dangerousmusic.com/2-bus.htm

The classics will be evergreen tools, and you can carry them forward into whatever new computer age we enter.

If you were talking a BCM10 stuffed with 1073's I would wrestle you for it!

:D

anonymous Sun, 04/14/2002 - 00:48

Jules....

U r dead on right baout them not be as good or as sought after as the classics! btw... did u see the pic of battery's double 8068 for sale @ funky?

There are some serious merits to both options the neve and the dangerous mix bus.

I will just go to say that the headroom on these Neve's is huge! What ever goes in comes out sound a little bit bigger and it is especially noticeable. This the most important consideration for me whn i use Alishad!

Also the 4band 'spectrum' eq on these desks is highly useable, as well as the compression/gates. The dynamics are better than most and wont turn things to mush in a real hurry. I think i would get far more value out of the headroom/eq/dyanamics than having a few select pieces of outboard.... but who am i kidding right i mean i am one of the biggest gearsluts since Allen Sides/ the dude with the wall of summit gear etc. But i would love to have neve and outobard too.. but i realise for most its just not possible. Besides its means that the biggest and most important item in a studio is purchased and will lead to other smaller and 'nearly' as expensive items to be lusted after like a GML 8200 and a variable MU!

Downside of a beast like this are the size considerations, how it will fit into a room and affect the sound of the room, maintenance they will need to be looked after with a lot of TLC! perhaps even a recapping? Neves lov to be recapped more than any other desk i know of!

These sorts of neves are slowly becoming hard to find now.. becuse the secret is slowly being let out that they do not suck dogs nuts liek the 8128... where Neve REALLY screwed the pooch on that job! Also they often have good GPO or tt
patchbay. THis is :p worth having alone!

Just MHO.... but as my name suggests i luv neves and they are definate advantage to any studios cos they WILL bring in clientel and make things sound better.

hope it helps!!!

PEACE
Wiggy

teddancin Sun, 04/14/2002 - 02:34

-Julian Standen
Hey,

I was just a little hazy as to what the Dangerous 2-Bus did. I went to the link you provided and read the whole thing, but I didn't quite get exactly how it works. I see that the dangerous 2-bus takes all your channels and turns it into just 2 (stereo), but I just didn't understand how it works in conjunction with your DAW. Thanks for your patients and understanding as to this is probably a very ignorant question, but I just didn't know.

teddancin Wed, 04/17/2002 - 03:43

Sorry if this sounds dense, but how do you do the mixing inside the Dangerous 2-Bus? I didn't see any faders/eq/whatever on the D2B and I was just curious cause this might be something that I end up getting instead of an apogee AD16

apogeedigital.com/products/prod_ad16.html

If I can just mix and sum all of the channels down to 2 I'd just go straight into my Lucid ad9624 2 channel converter and then just burn the CD or whatever else I needed to do digitally. Thanks for your knowledge and input.

x

User login