Skip to main content

Maybe you would like to hear the difference?. This was tracked and mixed by a fellow engineer here in town. This was a big daddy session too. 60 piece orchestra at Ocean Way on the 80 input Neve 8078. (Session cost came out to something like $1.60 per second!)

Tracked to Radar then the rough mix was recorded off the board an recorded back to radar. The tracks were also taken to a PT rig and mixed again to compare. no plugs, just pan and fade. with and outboard 480L.

This is not scientific...just a comparison of the mix buses in the hands of the same pro. Will the stereo image collapse on the PT mix? Will the Neve mix be bigger and ballsier? Will the PT mix seem 2 dimensional and lack clarity? Think you know?

GO here...
[url=(dead link removed) vs. PT web page[/url]

Comments

anonymous Sat, 03/30/2002 - 11:36

Originally posted by Ckevperry:
Maybe you would like to hear the difference?....This was tracked and mixed by a fellow engineer here in town. This was a big daddy session too....60 piece orchestra at Ocean Way on the 80 input Neve 8078. (Session cost came out to something like $1.60 per second!!)

Tracked to Radar then the rough mix was recorded off the board an recorded back to radar. The tracks were also taken to a PT rig and mixed again to compare....no plugs, just pan and fade. with and outboard 480L.

This is not scientific...just a comparison of the mix buses in the hands of the same pro. Will the stereo image collapse on the PT mix? Will the Neve mix be bigger and ballsier? Will the PT mix seem 2 dimensional and lack clarity? Think you know?

GO here...
[url=(dead link removed) vs. PT web page[/url]

How did RADAR sound?

anonymous Sun, 03/31/2002 - 17:48

Originally posted by Kirk Candlish:

I got the test wrong!

I loved reading people descibe the one sample as displaying all the problems they find in PT when in fact they were listening to the Neve mix.[/QUOTE

Ouch. That's some punchline there. There's no "Neve" to box people around the ears. If people can't tell a Neve sound...that's cool. few people have the opportunity to work on a full blown Neve system and be as familiar with it as they are Pro Tools.Perhaps they've become fatigued and more accepting of the faults of Pro Tools and digital recording, perhaps the Neve example provoked more of a critical response. Who knows?

You think it's funny. I think it's sad.

Sometimes you need an analog holiday.
See you at Neve Beach. Where the sound of the water is "sparkling".

:cool:
BTW that's not to say that I don't think you can get a "good sound" or mix using ProTools. You can.
Obviously. :cool:

x

User login