Skip to main content

Happy new year to all of you.
I have a "SpectraSonics Model 610 Complimiter" that sounds ok for about 3 minutes, then the output shuts off. There is still a signal on the input (I'd guess, 'cause it has a threshold lamp that keeps lighting when signal meets threshold). At first I suspected a cold soldering so I re-passed all of the joints but the output still shuts off. Maybe its 1 transistor that gets hot after 3 minutes but I couldn't find anything excessively hot in there. When I turn it on after a while it works again. There really aren't that much components in there: it is a vintage 1 channel unit that occupies 2 rack spaces (but sounds great!). Any ideas?

PhantomBox

Comments

PhantomBox Sat, 01/16/2010 - 07:39

"try some freeze. if the hot theory is correct you may be able to find the transistor that gets hot.
the freeze should make it work and then it will shut down as it gets hot again"

I imagine that this "freeze" is some kind of spray? I don't know if you know the Spectra Sonics. It has 3 slot cards with electronic components inside, set in one below the other. By the time it shuts off and I apply the "freeze" and then take it apart to get to the 2nd and 3rd slot card, it would already have vaporized completely and the transistor will have cooled down already.

I can't find any usable schematics over the internet so ... I'd need one to be able to trace down the faulty part ... so ... does any of you guys happen to have one of those hanging around?