Skip to main content

Anyone have thoughts on the Focusrite ISA 110 for vocal recording? Hows do you like the eq?
As a side bar are the Green Focusrites any good?

Comments

MadMoose Sat, 04/06/2002 - 08:23

I like the ISA110's on somethings but I haven't had the chance to use them on vocals for a while. It's not bad, the only thing it might be wrong from the mic or source. I haven't used the Green mic pre but I haven't heard good things about it. Thin, and not much different then a Mackie are what I've heard thrown around.

anonymous Sat, 04/06/2002 - 11:24

errrm, the green preamp (I have the green5 channel strip) sounds nothing like a mackie. Its is a lot better for a start, and has a lively, detailed and cutting sound, as has the eq, with a decent sweetspot and headroom. Something really good happens if you drive it to the point where is almost distorting - of course that is a high risk game!

its not my favourite preamp in the studio but I think its decent enough for somethings. I like it for acoustic guitar, on which the mackies absolutely suck IMO, its generally not my first choice for vocals

Richard

Guest Sat, 04/06/2002 - 16:17

The ISA design allows for high mid shrillness & lower mid 'honk' to be removed at narrow bandwidth from a vocal but still leave some of the original 'body' to remain, this can help you get some slick 'pop' vocal sounds. Having whipped out the offending ear catching frequencies, you can then 'warm / fatten with a bass boost & add a "super top" sheen with a HF boost. Having done all that you might find yourself needing a De-esser..

The borderline between an amazing vocal sound and frail, over processed reedy shadow of the original performance - IS A FINE ONE! :)

BTW lately I have been using a 215 (stereo version of the 110) on mixdown for kick & snare

coldsnow Mon, 04/08/2002 - 08:26

Sorry for the last post, but isn't it the point of being on a forum to learn something new?
To learn about equipment because you can't possibly try everything, to try somthing with dynamics or eq points or micing that you hadn't thought of before, etc. Of course I can experiment myself and maybe I would mis what he is suggesting but that has nothing to do with spending time on a forum.

Guest Mon, 04/08/2002 - 10:36

"Julian,
Could you go into detail as to what frequencies you are boosting and cutting to make this happen. Also, why will it only work on the ISA? "

I dont know the numbers...

The high mid is what I call the 'angry girlfriend on the telephone' frequency

The lower mid one is like a "megaphone sound"

Take these two out , then boost warmer bass and add super high sheen..

:)

If I were a live sound guy I would know the frequencys,
:)