Skip to main content

Does anyone have experience with the Universal 2-610? I am looking for a stereo pre to use primarily with two AKG 414 XLS's. These mics are great, but sometimes a little bright. I am looking for another pre that is a little warmer than those iown currently.

I use the 414's for overheads, acoustic instruments, vocals, and percussion. I currently have some API's and an Avalon 737. Will the 2-610 fit the bill? I also here good things about the Sebatron s.

Comments

Davedog Thu, 05/05/2005 - 18:50

Theres a bunch of difference in just the different models of the U87.The new ones arent as tasty as the older(70's) ones.But then you dont see that many of the older ones for sale....and with good reason.

A U87 for vocals can be so wonderful it'll make ya cry....It can also suck the life out of a vocal track if its wrong for the voice.I dont know that Rode. I do know an original Rode Classic I is going to be for sale very soon.This is a really good vocal mic and its rare indeed to see one being sold.

I can also recommend an ADK Area51 TT.Tube transducer....9 pattern remote switched...warm as Bora Bora ...Even frequency response...no HYPED top end...Should sound GREAT through any API. Around a grand ..new street price.

Also....in the smooth department..Soundelux U195.

AudioGaff Thu, 05/05/2005 - 21:55

As always, use the search function, the UA mic pre in all of it's different forms has been talked about many times.

While the UA mic pre is well worth owning, I'd agree with others that a more versatle mic collection would serve you better at this point in time from the description of your current needs. The AT4060 is a very good and afforadable mic that has the warmer character built in. It is a great compliment to the C414. While the U195 is a good mic, it is closer to the C414 than it is different which is what you seem to desire and need.

anonymous Sat, 05/07/2005 - 14:22

I have a one word descriction for the 610...
...yeechccchhh!
They claim a lot of headroom, but in reality, it ain't there.
For two channels maybe a GML or Manley (if you think toobs are the cats meow) or possibly a couple of 1073's, but I can think of quite a long list before I'd get to the 610.

The rode compared to an 87 is two completely different classes of mics. There's a reason , other than dollar vs. euro, that Neumanns are more expensive. It really begins to show up when you start layering several tracks together and when you start to throw a bit of EQ on them. I've put up Rodes on several occasions only to take them down. Please remember that toobs do not always equal warm. So if a Rode, maybe not an NTK.

Lower priced mics that seem to sound ok to me are the Shure KSM32, Audix SCX-25, and (mid-priced) Neumann TLM103. None of these mics have the ability to record in omni, which I do quite often. They also then not to have a fatigueing sound to them as you layer multiple instruments. They're not great mics, but they are good utility mics.

Sorry to be so negetive on the 610s, but I've tried 'em a lot and never liked them. YMMV

John Stafford Sun, 05/08/2005 - 21:02

I can't get onto thelisteningsessions.com at the moment, but there's a song there somewhere Dirty White, and I think it was recorded with a Rode NT1000, which is very nice. As a new 87 user, I'm still getting to know it, but I've been quite surprised by how it can make lots of subtle differences that add up to major differences. It's difficult to describe, but not the sort of thing that will always reach out and grab you in an A/B test, but when it's working in your favour it can be truly amazing, and strangely familiar. I suppose that's to be expected when you consider how many records it has been used on.

John Stafford