Skip to main content

Hi,

I'm looking for a preamp around $1000 USD that will add some character to my recordings. Right now I only have the preamps built in my Apogee Mini-Me.

I plan to buy a Vintech 473 sometime in the future to get the Neve sound in 4 channels.

However, I'm starting a project soon that will be benefited wih a better preamp. I just don't want to get a Neve type of sound, since later I'll be getting 4 channels of it.

The Apogee preamps are pretty decent, but I feel a Universal Audio M610 would be a nice complement for character and definition. What do you think?

I'm aware it's very colored, but used wisely in combination with the cleaner Apogee sound will probably give a nice warmth and punch, don't u think?

Thanks!

Rodrigo Montfort

Topic Tags

Comments

TanTan Sun, 02/29/2004 - 01:53

I'm using the original ua1108 pre amp that i think it has been rebuilt for the model you are talking about , it is the original pre that used now in ua 2108 and it's ok for certain things but for sure not as the main preamp in the studio, but i am really not sure it's the same model so chek it out ,in your condition i would consider buying an rca preamp it is as good as any neve with a totally different color ,but it's still good for almost anything

anonymous Sun, 02/29/2004 - 11:17

AudioGaff, I'm aware that the "warmth and punch" terms are subjective, as probably any description of sound.

I'm simply asking what do you think would be a nice complement to my actual gear, that will produce a deep and rich sound (closer to a record than a demo sound) and still be different than the Neve type of sound.

I'm also considering the Langevin dual mono, which has an additional channel; but has a direct input "Optimised for synths and drum machines but not for guitars or basses". I need a more versatile input, even if it's mono. What do you suggest?

anonymous Sun, 02/29/2004 - 11:18

OK heres a runndown, 1108 was a line amp designed by Putnam, that line amp was used for makeup on the 1176LN and other 1176 models, thus the 1108 gave the 1176 its sound, The M-610 and 2-610 were modeled after the 610 modular consule Putnam also created, the m-610 was modeled after the board but uses modern parts, the the sound of the M-610 comes mostly from the input transformer they made for the M-610. The 2108 that was made two years later uses the input transformer as the M-610 and the 1108 line amp to make the 2108, which sounds similar to the M-610 but its a solid state fet design. The sound of the M-610 could be described as thick and wooly, makes vocals hit you in the chest, it has a nice top end that is brushed away of most of the upper mid range filth, adds alot of harmonics when pushed and gives a great saturated tone. The 2108 however has a similar tone, its not tubey sounding, it makes thinks sound heavey and thick when saturation begins seems like it adds a sub octave to things, the top is more accurate than the M-610 though. The great thing about the M-610 and 2-610 are they also have lines ins too. Either f the two are great to have in your lineup, but the 610 is more colored and doesn't work well with some combos where a more nuetral pre would work, such as a 414ULS or 414 TLII. The one thing i must add is if you are using a cheaper chinese made mic (such as MXL, Studio Projects.....) those mics tend to have a scopped low mid and hyped top end, which the 610 works worders on those mis toning down the top and making them sound fuller. A good example of how the color of the M-610 sounds listen to LA Women which was recorded on the original 610 console using nothing but those pres, it gives you the feel of the thickness and color that the M-610 has too offer.

AudioGaff Sun, 02/29/2004 - 12:40

I'm simply asking what do you think would be a nice complement to my actual gear, that will produce a deep and rich sound (closer to a record than a demo sound) and still be different than the Neve type of sound.

I don't have a simple answer because there isn't one. There are dozens of mic pre's to choose from that fit that generic description. Other variables such as which mics you have also play making any specific suggestion.

The UA 610 would be on the other end of the Mini-me and Vintech 473, but that doesn't mean it would be something you'd like or use much. I know many that do and that don't like the UA 610 because of how colored it is. I have plans to buy a UA 6176 myself this year but I also own and use over a dozen others that I have to choose from. In most cases, I prefer the preamp to not be as heavy colored as the UA 610 and to use a compressor(s), most likely a tube type, to add that type of color where I have more control.

For something great, yet different from the Neve or clean side I would suggest you also look into an API 512C and a lunchbox that you could fill up down the road with other API modules. Kurt seems to like the sebatron or TLM stuff for sound and value. I don't anything about those as I mainly stick to the old, proven designs.

maintiger Sun, 02/29/2004 - 19:09

I just got some literature on the mail on the D.W. fearn Vt-2- it sure looks sweet! At $3675.00 for 2 channels is a lotta moola... if wishes were horses... (musicians would all ride!) There is an outfit in town (LA) that will rent the VT-1 for about $80/day- I think I will give them a whirl when we are ready to do guitar and vocal overdubs for our next band CD- That bright red box sure looks enticing!

AudioGaff Mon, 03/01/2004 - 02:24

There is an outfit in town (LA) that will rent the VT-1 for about $80/day- I think I will give them a whirl when we are ready to do guitar and vocal overdubs for our next band CD

Be prepared to pick your jaw up from the floor and change your shorts cause your gonna crap your pants after you hear and use it...

Fruition2k Mon, 03/01/2004 - 06:10

Look into the Tube Tech MP-1A 2 channel mic pre, you dont hear much about them but a wonderful option. Used sells for $1300 and up, plenty of gain with Hi-Z inputs as well.

D.W. Fearn VT-1, I've found slightly cloudy, lacking clarity for my taste...

As for the UA pres, choose the UA 2108 over the M610, friend of mine who worked at UA designed both.

maintiger Mon, 03/01/2004 - 07:06

Originally posted by AudioGaff:

There is an outfit in town (LA) that will rent the VT-1 for about $80/day- I think I will give them a whirl when we are ready to do guitar and vocal overdubs for our next band CD

Be prepared to pick your jaw up from the floor and change your shorts cause your gonna crap your pants after you hear and use it...

Thant good? can't wait! :D