Skip to main content

That's is, it's between those 2 now. I've seen many "this pre vs that pre" threads, here and on other forums, but yet these 2 battle it out. As far as I can tell, they have very similar specs and are similarily priced at around $1400. Many will say they're both excellent units and it's gonna come down to the sound. The reviews are very favorable for both of them, from what I've read elsewhere.

I tried TapeOp but got no answers there, they were comparing a 2-610 with a 2108, while I wanted to know about these 2 transformer based units. So, there's $1400 to spend, you're eager to get your first good preamp, and you're not quite sure who gets your business first, UA or Vintech? Which makes a better, more versatile "my first good dual-channel pre"?

Music style is mostly electronic (ie: Massive Attack-ish so vox and some live instrument recording alond with samples) but a damn good bass and guitar DI is certainly needed. Mic is a Studio Projects C1, though to be honest, I wouldn't mind investing in a better one eventually. TLM-103, AKC C-414?

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Comments

Krou Mon, 11/15/2004 - 13:44

Yeah that helps...
Thing is, "clean" is what I'm trying to get away from. I'm from the Digi 001/002R land of pres in my almost 5 years of doing this. I want colour and first looked at the UA LA-610 channel strip. After a little more research I thought it may be best to include it for later, as the 610's tubey sound may not be so versatile. Bearing in mind the price comfort zone (approx.$1400), I started investigating both the Vintech and the 2108. I read a lot of great things about the 2108, mostly about the outputs which are based on the 1176, so you get a similar tone without the compression. Furthermore, I haven't read any negative things about the Vintech either, just lots of "great bang for the buck" pre for that Neve tone). So you can see how it makes the decision a little difficult.

On an aesthetic note, the Vintech being a 2U chassis makes it seem like a very reliable and well designed unit. I know it's not about looks, but it's a hefty looking unit, which I like.

Krou Tue, 11/16/2004 - 07:55

well, yes, I'm sure it's a great pre, but again, it's between the 2108 and Dual 72. I want a dual-channel (as the single channel will be the UA LA-610 later on) and don't need an eq and comp. I've read some more on the 2108, seems a great choice for rock, which I do occaionally, but wouldn't want a pre that excels at a particular genre (though I'm sure both would sound good for most styles).

anonymous Wed, 11/17/2004 - 09:06

the 2108 is NOT necessarily a clean pre. In fact, I think it can get kind of thick and dark when you saturate it (in a good way). But on low saturation it's pretty clean.

I think it's a very versatile pre, it's my front end for vox, guitars, drum OH's, and even some keys and turntables (even though they usually go through my avalons). The thing that impresses me most about the pre is its transparent top end, even when overdriven. The DI sound is great too. Not to mention only 1 rack space versus two on the vintech. I'd certainly recommend it.

p.s. the 610 is a little too thick for my liking, but still cool as well. Maybe get the 2108 and save for a single channel great river down the road?

p.p.s. like idiophone says...this thing kills on guitar.

Krou Wed, 11/17/2004 - 16:29

Would you say the 2108 is much better on guitars than the Vintech?
While guitars isn't the main application, it would be nice to - finally - have a nice tone the few times I do record some. Vox and bass were my main concerns and "not clean" is absolutely fine. I've had nothing but 'clean' for over 4 years and I'm tired of it, bring on the paint! Just a good dual that can help with synths, mixbus, vox, gtr, bass, etc...

I'm sure Sebatrons are great, but I'm kinda stuck on the two I mentioned, don't know why, but it's either one of those, thanks though.