Skip to main content

I went over to a friend's studio that is selling a lot of older microphones. Amongst them was a 1968 u87i, an AKG c414EB (silver), and a Sony c37a. I spent two hours trying these mics along with their Microtech Gefell um92 1.s. (which blew the socks off every microphone there in terms of detail, depth, and high-end openness and gentleness - even the Sony c37a). Unfortunately, I can't afford that mic right now.

The reason I am writing is that I am wondering firstly whether $1000CAN (ie around$950US) is a good price for either the U87 or the C414 - both in great working condition. Secondly, neither of the microphones as is would really do the job for the warmth I would like in my new microphone. I would plan to get them modified. Am I better off spending the money on the purchase and the mod, or would I be better off buying something more in the upper range of microphones (ie cost of one of the mics + the modification)?

If it means anything to know, I now own a couple of AT4047's, a couple of SM81's. I do have an AMAZING Lang Electronics PEQ-2 though, which I picked up at this same studio. Does wonders for warmer signals up before being digitized.

Thanks for any thoughts on all of this.

Andrew

Comments

Davedog Sun, 09/02/2007 - 10:02

What a Dilemma!

Everyone of those mics are fine examples of sound reproducers.

I LOVE the older U87's. I have one. It is not an overly bright mic in comparison to newer U87's but it has a load of 'air' in it. Like BRH, the 414EB is the only 414 mic I have ever liked. The C37a is simply something that a great mic collection connot be without...its one of those mics that seems to work when nothing else will.

I think you've already made your choice but the cost is keeping you away from it.

I dont have a ready answer for you though a modded U87 kinda gets me going personally.

Good luck....Maybe make a deal on the Gefell.

anonymous Sun, 09/02/2007 - 10:14

thanks for the words. the gefell was unfortunately not for sale. and the sony mic is probably going to be going for $3k. i am going to check to see if the c414eb has the brass-ringed capsule and eventually have it modded by someone like klaus heyne. i have heard wonderful things about his work. thanks again.

x

User login