Skip to main content

Hi all, '
Motivating this "product" question is my new project, recording two Cellos.
At this time i am planning to use a pair of C 414s in X/Y configuration.

I will not be able to make any A/B comparisons, as i dont have a locker full of microphones ( sigh )

Any critique or success stories regarding the appopriateness of that product for use in this way is hugely welcome.

Is there any concern around the timbre of that mic for Cello ?

Comments

Cucco Wed, 01/30/2008 - 07:48

There's a few considerations here.

1 - which version of the 414? If it's the B-ULS, I think you'd be fine. If it's the TLII, perhaps not. (Same goes for the newer models B-XLS and XLII?? )

2 - How's the room?

3 - What preamps? (I've found the 414s to be a little particular about preamps, especially with strings.)

If the room were nice and the preamp a good, full sounding unit, I'd say you'd probably have decent luck. Although, depending upon the room, I'd go with Blumlein as it will give you a much deeper, more full sound stage. Even MS would work well. XY would be a tad boring on cello duet.

Cucco Wed, 01/30/2008 - 08:48

I like the Langevin with the 414. It's a match made in heaven - a good full sound, not to bright but not muddy. Definitely one of my favorite preamps!

The only beef with the XLII is the HF rise which can be a bit on the edgy side. If you're using the Langevin with the built-in EQ, you can do a light cut at 8kHz and it will more or less take care of the problem.

I wish more people could hear the Langevin - it really is an awesome preamp, regardless of price!

DavidSpearritt Wed, 01/30/2008 - 11:49

LittleJohn wrote: Hi all, '
Motivating this "product" question is my new project, recording two Cellos.
At this time i am planning to use a pair of C 414s in X/Y configuration.

I will not be able to make any A/B comparisons, as i dont have a locker full of microphones ( sigh )

Any critique or success stories regarding the appopriateness of that product for use in this way is hugely welcome.

Is there any concern around the timbre of that mic for Cello ?

I would try a Blumlein arrangement for the two mics before X-Y. I have recorded solo cello playing Bach suites using a C426 in Blumlein and it was first rate. X-Y, and I assume you mean co-incident, gives a dry, narrow uninteresting sound stage. It depends on the room you are in as well.

BobRogers Thu, 01/31/2008 - 04:58

I've been using my pair of C414s in Blumlein to record solo classical sax and a sax/clarinet duet. A much more interesting stereo field than xy. I also preferred it to M-S, but that was a closer call.

http://www.math.vt.edu/people/rogers/personal/01%20Come%20With%20Me.wav is a clip of a quick and dirty recording of a HS bari sax/ clarinet duet working on piece that one of their fellow students composed.