Skip to main content

Looking for any Alesis DEQ 230 users.

If so how do you like it? and why 8-)

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Thu, 01/06/2005 - 12:37

What do you plan on using it for? If you want to use it for recording or studio use you would be much better off getting a good parametric eqaulizer instead of a 30 band or "banded" equalizer. Those equalizers are more at home for live sound when you need to notch a frequency immediately to eliminate feedback.

anonymous Thu, 01/06/2005 - 13:58

RAIN0707 wrote: What do you plan on using it for? If you want to use it for recording or studio use you would be much better off getting a good parametric eqaulizer instead of a 30 band or "banded" equalizer. Those equalizers are more at home for live sound when you need to notch a frequency immediately to eliminate feedback.

I was thinking of using it in my studio,I have more than enough eqs for live performances.
The reason I was considering using the DEQ (from what I understand)you can visibly see youre freq. curves via the DEQ 230s L-E-Ds?

KurtFoster Thu, 01/06/2005 - 15:01

Like the man said , graphic eq's are for PA work ... Parametric EQs are what is usually used for recording ...

Graphics can create a "ripple effect" when at extreme settings and interaction of the bands can affect pervious settings ... best for a quick fix in live situations ... The cool thing about the DEQ 230 is the recall ability so once you have played a venue, you can recall that setting every time you return as a starting point for your set up ... this can reduce the time needed for set up ...

All graphic EQs show a representation of the EQ curve through the fader settings and this is why they are called "graphic EQs"... but not all graphics have l.e.d.'s in the faders ...

anonymous Thu, 01/06/2005 - 19:24

Kurt Foster wrote: Like the man said , graphic eq's are for PA work ... Parametric EQs are what is usually used for recording ...

Graphics can create a "ripple effect" when at extreme settings and interaction of the bands can affect pervious settings ... best for a quick fix in live situations ... The cool thing about the DEQ 230 is the recall ability so once you have played a venue, you can recall that setting every time you return as a starting point for your set up ... this can reduce the time needed for set up ...

All graphic EQs show a representation of the EQ curve through the fader settings and this is why they are called "graphic EQs"... but not all graphics have l.e.d.'s in the faders ...

Kurt----------I guess what Im looking for is an EQ that has LEDs so I can actualy see the freqs being produced (not only look like),but sound like,I know the DEQ has the LEDs,I guessmy question is----do the LEDs go up and down with the perspected freqs?

anonymous Fri, 01/07/2005 - 07:06

Eddie,
from your question it seems that you want to see the specific frequency of the sound (or source) that is going through it. But the Alesis won't do that. The position of a LED just gives the amount of dB that has been boosted or cut on a specific bandwidth. With an analog EQ this would be represented by the position of the fader.
I owned an Alesis DEQ230 for about a year and then sold it. I didn't like both the operation and the sound. Went back to an analog one (DETON EQ60). Seems like I'm more of a faderman than a pushbuttonsman.
Kurt is right about the presets though, those can come in handy.
Gomp

anonymous Fri, 01/07/2005 - 15:01

gomp wrote: Eddie,
from your question it seems that you want to see the specific frequency of the sound (or source) that is going through it. But the Alesis won't do that. The position of a LED just gives the amount of dB that has been boosted or cut on a specific bandwidth. With an analog EQ this would be represented by the position of the fader.
I owned an Alesis DEQ230 for about a year and then sold it. I didn't like both the operation and the sound. Went back to an analog one (DETON EQ60). Seems like I'm more of a faderman than a pushbuttonsman.
Kurt is right about the presets though, those can come in handy.
Gomp

U DA MAN!-----------Ask and you shall recieve.
I guess Ill stick to my old and trust worthy analog also.
Thanks for youre time and youre response 8-)