Skip to main content

if not, then what

what output on my Behringer pa (or any pa) goes to the headphone amp?

ive got speakon outs for main pa's and monitor 1/4 outs, RCA tape outs and ins

could i hook up the ha4700 from my tape headphones outs, keep the pause/record/play down.

thanks

Topic Tags

Comments

zemlin Fri, 01/14/2005 - 07:32

I have a 4700. The first one I got had a BAD hum in channels 3 & 4. I returned it and the replacement also hummed, but not nearly as bad - so I kept it.

I'm thinking about ordering a Samson S-Phone - similar capabilities and the reviews I've read have been very positive. If I like it I'll ebay the 4700.

The 4700 is not bad - it does the job, seems to sound fine - it's just noisy.

If you have a TRS to TRS patch cable, you can go from the phones out on your tape to the main stereo input on the front.

anonymous Fri, 01/14/2005 - 16:30

have you heard anything about samson s- amp mini

its way cheaper than the others do you think it would be way worse in functionality?

thanks for your help man

HEY ALSO

when would i use TRS vs TS ???? thanks

AND

would the 1/4 inch monitor "pre power amp" out on my pa work the same as the headphones on the tape deck???

thanks

sndo Fri, 01/14/2005 - 23:45

Re: have you heard anything about samson s- amp mini

TRS stands for tip/ring/sleeve and it's most commonly used by consumers for un-grounded stereo signals. In pro audio applications, it is used to carry mono audio signals WITH a ground; in this case it functions like an XLR cable.
TS cables are your basic guitar cable.

anonymous Thu, 01/20/2005 - 09:23

vishnu wrote: if not, then what what output on my behringer pa (or any pa) goes to the headphone amp? Could i hook up the ha4700 from my tape headphones outs, keep the pause/record/play down.

Here is a recent previous discussion (see link below)on headphone amplifier systems. I discussed the HA4700 a bit and what you can do with it versus other models.

(Dead Link Removed)#194316

Basically the HA4700 headphone amp has two main problems.

(1) It has a tendancy to hum and seems very prone to ground loops. Alot of Behringer eqpt tends to do this... but the HA4700 is among the worst in this respect I think. Alot of people report this problem (check internet reviews), so its not just an isolated incident of a few bad units I dont think. Its a systemic problem which plagues most behringer stuff.

(2) The thermal noise floor is rediculously unacceptable in my opinion in comparison to alot of other headphone amplifiers. If you set the the gains just right... it wont be too bad.... but if your setting up your headphone amp in a really elaborate configuration with your mixing board.... its easier said than done. More than one musician has been annoyed in our studio by the "static" when we used this to do their headphone mixes... they found it distracting.

-----------------------

The bad points being previously covered... let me say the good points.

(1) Its inexpensive and probably gives more features per dollar than any unit on the market.

(2) It has features which allow you to do fairly sophisticated heaphone mixes for 4 seperate musicians (provided you know how to do elaborate routing on your mixing board) which otherwise could not be done by any other ordinary headphone unit.

It'll do headphone mixes which are almost as good as some of the $700+ units, except the musician wont have remote control though.... but the engineer from the control room can balance the music cue versus singers microphone foldback individually with the balance knob provided on each of the 4 seperate channels.

-------------------------------------------

Unless you need elaborate headphone mixes on a serious budget.... I'd maybe stay away from this unit because of the thermal noise and humming issue. The latter might not be a dealbreaker.... but its not really acceptable to me.

I'd really just cough up the money for a Rane HC-4 or better yet an Rane HC-6. You can get them used on e-bay for what you'd almost pay for a new Behringer HA4700.... but the quality your getting is much better.

The Rane's in my opinion.... are really just "solid" workhorse units that don't give many people problems for a long time with rare exceptions. It wont do the elaborate headphone mixes that the HA4700 will do.... but its a good solid unit with very low noise.

As for hooking the mixer tape outputs to the HA4700 inputs.....??? Hmmm... I never really tried that..... but I assume it would work... I see no reason why it shouldnt.

anonymous Thu, 01/20/2005 - 11:41

I noticed your other message thread similar to this one. I want to second another guys reccommendation of the following unit.

http://

This Samson unit is basically identical in every respect to the HA4700, and the two are nearly the same price so price wont be so much an issue..... but you'll likely find less of a noise problem with the Samson stuff. That company makes pretty decent stuff for the budget minded.

John Stafford Sat, 01/29/2005 - 17:42

The Grado headphone amp is around $350. It has a high end sound, but it won't drive a lot of headphones very well, so there's a higher power version fro driving non-Grado headphones, although it costs a little more.

Grado headphones start at around $100, but they are, in my opinion, the best range of headphones on the market. They are open backed however, so that might cause a few problems.

John Stafford

x

User login