Skip to main content

Im looking for LDC mics for multiple uses such as ambience/room mic, vocal, Overheads, acoustic instruments. etc

which would you recommend between these two.

you can find both on ebay for similar price.

thanks

Topic Tags

Comments

Cucco Tue, 11/01/2005 - 06:22

supercharry wrote: Im looking for LDC mics for multiple uses such as ambience/room mic, vocal, Overheads, acoustic instruments....etc

which would you recommend between these two....

you can find both on ebay for similar price.

thanks

Without a doubt in my mind, I would whole-heartedly recommend the Microtech Gefell M930. It is one of the most versatile, beautiful mics in the world for anywhere near its price!

J.

anonymous Wed, 11/02/2005 - 08:20

414 vs ksm

I agree the 414 is more generally useful. I have used both. The ksm is a great mic however. The important thing to recognize is that they are very different mics. The ksm is a bit more mid rangy - good for making vocals stand out and so on, and the 414 a bit more scooped. I'd make the decision base don how the mic sounded with the key foreground element of the most probable application. For example, if you wil sing, which one sounds better on your voice? The KSM can sound either great or bad on your voice depending on how nasal you are. Same with the 414. If its drums, do you use brushes (I love the 44 for that), or do you want big rock overheads?

Both great. In the end you will need one of each type.

TeddyG Fri, 11/04/2005 - 14:45

Fletcher likes the 930(And has recommended it to me and I'm sure you). I'd like to try one someday, but I'd like to have a 414 to compare it with at the same time...

Nothing mean meant here, but, FOR ME, the Neuman's have rarely been kind(At least the "vintage" tuber's?), the AKG's always more pleasing with my voice and, as you say, the MG's are "related" to the Neuman's..?

To not come down completely on Neuman's, I did use a new N-tube mic recently(Something 42?) through a Millennia preamp. Very nice! Still, the AKG's seem to be "more me"(If anyone needs "coloration", it would be...me...).

TG