Skip to main content

I've been offered a used Edirol DA2496 for a similar price to a new M-Audio 2496.

Am I right in thinking the Edirol would negate the need for my Seck 1282?

More importantly, sound quality-wise, how do they compare?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Topic Tags

Comments

Hawkeye Sat, 02/18/2006 - 08:06

2496 or 2496

I have the Edirol DA-2496 and am quite pleased with the results. The soft mixer is a litle clunky but it is an M-Audio driver and probably is exactly the same one that the M-Audio uses.

The DA-2496 has been extremely stable on my XP system and as far as I can tell the converters are as good or better as the ones in my Focusrite Trakmaster A-D card.

I use outboard preamps into the DA-2496 (ART Pro MPA with ART Pro VLA) plus the Focusrite and they are slightly better than the preamps and Hi-Z input in the DA-2496. The DA-2496 makes a nice "converter central" that you can use to plug in a whole mess of stuff and it works.

Now as to whether Edirol will continue to produce drivers for it or not, that's another question.

Hawkeye Sat, 02/18/2006 - 08:08

Sorry, I forgot to answer one of your questions. I still use a Yamaha MG 12/4 mixing board for monitoring and premix of line level synths before they go into the DA-2496.

However, I find that my other outboard preamps sound better than the ones in the mixer so they go direc to the DA-2496.

I'm not familiar with the board you're talking about, but I would not necessarily get rid of it yet. You will have a lot of flexibility at your disposal if you keep your analog board.