Skip to main content

I just got a Fireface 400. I want to get a not too expensive laptop that works well without any (chipset or other) compatability problems. Please tell me what U R using and also what doesnt work well. (Also please include if it will be necc. To get a dedicated Firewire 400adapter, to plug into PCMIA card.)
Will be using Cubase LE software for now. Im also going to get a Guitar Rig 2, Dont know if that will pose any other problems as far as power and Ram capability.
Any tips and tricks much appreciated,Thanks lads Michel

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Mon, 03/26/2007 - 10:31

Hi,

I use the Fireface 800 with a Toshiba Tecra M5 and its built-in firewire port, and it works like a charm. I did a good amount of research before I chose this laptop. Some of the things I like are: 1) it uses a Texas Instruments firewire 400 chip, so no need for a separate firewire card (unless you need FW800); 2) Core 2 Duo processor; 3) a swappable bay that can take a CD/DVD drive or a second hard drive (sold separately) - this is great to have two drives with no external drive; 4) a very solid, magnesium allow case; 5) runs quiet and cool; 6) has a PC type II card slot instead of the newer, but less useful, express card slot; 7) you can get a docking station that has both DVI and VGA video out for dual monitors; 8) it has an SPDIF port; 9) it is reasonably priced for what it offers.

What I don't like is that Toshiba loads their laptops with a tons of bloatware, and they only give you a restore CD so you can't load a clean copy of Windows unless you have a separate Windows CD. Battery life is only ok, but I always plug mine in. Also, a slightly odd thing is that the built-in drive is SATA, but the swappable drive bay is PATA. Not a big deal, but something to keep in mind. The screen is pretty good, but not the best. I'd also prefer if it were widescreen. But, I only use the screen on location when it is not docked to my better monitors. Graphics card is not great for gaming, but I don't do that anyway.

Hope this helps.