Skip to main content

I bought this mic:

Shure SV100 Dynamic Microphone with 4.5 m Lead

because of the good reviews. I am planning to use it to record guitar, vocals and more - and mix on my PC. I have not used a mic before and when I plug it into the mic socket (I have the appropriate connector) on my laptop and switch it on and try to record my computer is not picking it up. The same for a handheld voice recorder. Am I missing something? I am guessing it does not have it's own power source so how does it generate sound? Any help on this appreciated... sorry if it's a stupid question...
Dave

Topic Tags

Comments

dvdhawk Sat, 07/03/2010 - 11:50

Hi Dave,

The primer topics audiokid recommends would be good. Bottom-line you'll be infinitely happier with the results you'll get from a proper recording interface, compared to plugging directly into the computer's mic jack. Typical computer soundcards are notoriously lo-fidelity.

At first I thought it was a computer issue, routing the audio input - until you said you tried it with a handheld voice recorder.

Could you please describe, or better yet, give a link to "the appropriate connector"?

Knowing what software you're using on the computer would be useful too.

You have a dynamic mic, so it doesn't need a power source. "So how does it generate sound?" Dynamic mics are pretty simple transducers, soundwaves cause the thin diaphragm inside to vibrate. There is a coil of very fine wire underneath the diaphragm that is suspended in a magnetic field. The coil moving within the magnetic field generates a very low level electrical signal that gets amplified many times over before it comes out the speaker. [which incidentally is also a transducer that usually does the opposite - converts the electrical signals back into vibrations in the air]

Best of luck.