Skip to main content

I'm getting a digi002 rack system to do some demo recordings. Someone suggested I get a 1402-VLZ on the cheap for monitoring. These go for around $250, but money is tight. The Behringer seems similarly featured, and since the preamps (which I assume to be the main difference) are not important, can I just go for the Behringer?

Also, what is a good headphone amp system?

Comments

KurtFoster Mon, 06/21/2004 - 19:19

The Mackie will be better built but the Behringer will have more features like aux sends.

Most of Behringers designs are pretty much rip off reverse engineered clones of Mackies (and others) stuff, executed at a lower cost.

In otherwords, Behringer takes a Mackie design and asks themslves "How can we manufacturer and market this item for less than the original designers did?" They already have an advantage because they didn't pay for the R&D but in practice I can say the Behringer stuff is not a well built as Mackies.

For a good phone amp, I recommend the Rane HP6 ... a bit costly but loud and sturdy. I have 2 that I have owned for almost 10 years. They have never missed a beat but have been loud enough to blow out plenty of headsets..