Skip to main content

So for the past 6 years I've been working with some Alesis monitors. They're beasts! But they totally color my sound. So I'm looking for something that represents my the acutal sound well, without breaking the bank.

What do you think about the Mackie HR824 power monitors?

Comments

Davedog Sun, 03/27/2005 - 13:01

I think you're headed in the right direction as far as your upgrade.I certainly would not stop on the Mackies as my first choice.Critical listening also involves the environment around your monitors.There many links to this problem and solutions here on RO.Search a bit and compare your listening area to others who had this question.Perhaps you will find a solution to fit your own needs.

therecordingart Sun, 03/27/2005 - 13:24

My honest opinion on monitors:

Even with the best monitors....you'll still have mix issues if the room isn't right. My room is ok...not great...so I bought ok/not great monitors (Event TR8's). I know that sounds a little stupid, but I can't see spending a few thousand on a nice pair of monitors that will only give me an image of sound that is dependent on my room.

If your room is already how you'd like it...go nuts and get the best monitors you can afford!

anonymous Sun, 03/27/2005 - 13:26

Yeah, I've already upgraded my control room per some of the suggestions on this site. I've got more in the works also. I've read the different posts on monitors and I'm in search of flat monitors. I've delt with my monitors for too many years. And while they sound GREAT, they don't accuratly represent what is laid down on tape. So I'm hoping to find a pair of monitors that doesn't accent the highs or lows, and doesn't dip them either. My mixes have suffered over the years, and I'm hoping new monitors (perhaps the Mackies HR824's?) will do the trick.

anonymous Sun, 03/27/2005 - 23:00

i've been on event 20/20 bas monitors for 7 years and it's always scary to switch monitors if your mixes translate well to mastering or other systems, but it's time for me to upgrade them as well. my ears need more from my monitors than these are currently giving me (i guess i've outgrown these mamas?). i need more clarity in the low end (don't we all).my budget is in the same range and i have mixed in three rooms that had the mackies. i didn't hate them but the low end was really tough for me to get calibrated (2 of the rooms weren't really tuned to the mackies- made it even trickier). recently i've been going back and forth listening to some of my mixes done on the 20/20's through the 824's and the event precision 8's and must say i prefer the events, more clarity from top to bottom to me. if i had the budget, i would get some adams (excellent) and i really really liked the truth audio ta-p1's (not behringer) for $699.00 (passive) but can't get any locally to hear in my room (heard them elsewhere a couple of times). i believe i have decided on the events. i've mixed on NS10's, tannoys, mackies, events, genelecs, dynaudios and others but in this price range i'd recommend listening to the events : ) best of luck!

mckay

x

User login