Skip to main content

man this thing does everything I needed...with the ADAT i/o's
and midi...all the reviews I have read say these are the best audio interfaces for PC recording...if anyone is interested and needs one I got a killer price on mine and can get u one...

Comments

Randyman... Sat, 06/18/2005 - 18:33

Well, my current Multiface / HDSP PCI card's driver has a "Disconnect" mode in the control panel (a "tick box" at the top of the Hammerfall setup panel). According to the manual, this allows use of the Multiface as a standalone AD/DA. You set the Totalmix routing, and then initiate "Disconnect", and the Multiface remembers the last Totalmix configuration. I believe you can use any combo of ADAT and SPDIF as well as the 8 analog I/O's and HP jack (set appropriately in Totalmix - I guess the Wordclock reference must also be set BEFORE initiating "Disconnect mode" as well).

Please keep in mind, this is only what I read in the Multiface manual (avalible at RME's website if you don't have one). I have NOT tried to use the Multiface as a "standalone" just yet. You WILL need a power supply for the Multiface in this case (no "bus power" avalible in "disconnect mode".). You also need a certain revision of the Driver to initiate this feature (this was NOT initially avalible IIRC, but was eventually added into a driver update).

Anyway - it sounds like this may change things for you, no? I'm currently using the ADI-8 for 8 more I/O's on the Multiface, and I really like my RME setup! The drivers are insanely solid and efficient IMO. The ADI-8 Pro used is just stupid cheap ($550 for mine :lol: ), and I see no need for me to even consider Lavry for my current level of engineering (Apogee is also not worth 5x-8x what I paid for my used ADI-8 - ya know?). I also scored the Multiface Used for about $550 w/ the HDSP PCI card :eek: .

I'm happy as could be with my $1100 worth of 16 analog I/O's and interfaces! Couldn't touch that for under ~ $4000 with Apogee, and WAY WAY more for Lavry. Maybe I'll upgrade one day when I have $50,000 in front-end gear, and a $10,000 monitoring system - but NOT TODAY! :wink: . RME is the bomb for my needs and budget. Used RME gear is just stupid cheap - seriously!

:cool:

redbort Sat, 06/18/2005 - 18:42

what i ment, was asking
is can you use the multiface analog inputs
and rout these signals to the adat ouputs? direct
equally rout the adat input to the analog output
acting like the ADI-8, without the price tag.
cause this would be sweet.

wait you did understand me...
has anyone actually tried this?

i`m aiming for a 24track setup
can the multiface be used anywhere for that configuration
with the hdsp card?

redbort Sat, 06/18/2005 - 19:26

and to use total mix it has to be connected to your pc
and then "initiate disconnect" via pci card?
and will the total mix matrix stay presaved even if i turn the unit off?

ugh, i don`t want the pci card
cause i won`t be able to go up to 24
only 16... like you have now....

It`s a no slow upgrade story, make the leap...

Randyman... Sat, 06/18/2005 - 19:43

I believe that is how it works. The Multiface will "remember" the last totalmix routing until it is sent a new command (the next time you hook it back up to the PC's PCI card). I don't believe powering down would affect this (how else would you do this if not by disconnecting the PCI card and the Multiface's power supply?).

Also, don't forget about the Digiface (essentialy the HDSP96/52 in a PCI/Breakout style setup). You can find the Digiface "box" for like $499 or less IIRC , and use your current HDSP PCI card (and dedicate the Multiface as an ADAT converter). The Digiface and Multiface use the same PCI card.

I, too, am leaning towards the HDSP 96/52 so I can have all 3 of my ADAT devices hooked up to the RME card full time, and use the Totalmix as my "ADAT Patchbay" of sorts. Man, RME is flexible as hell :)

:cool: