Skip to main content

I have been using ROland for 3 years and may go up to the new 24 track this month...total investment is about $ 3800...
I have 2 effects units, mic preamps etc. how does the Radar compare to the Roland? I suspect it is more money...thanks in advance!

Comments

anonymous Mon, 05/21/2001 - 01:18

1. Radar is a mature & well known reliable workhorse recording device that gives good client.

2. Sonic performance. Radar is awesome, second to none! Check out their users list on the website: http://www.recordingtheworld.com

3. Ergonomics & learning curves. You will be recording 2 minutes after hooking up the Radar. The auto-locator/remote is a pro-grade device with clearly labeled buttons (one function/button mostly).

4. Support. I have owned stuff from Studer/Sony/Panasonic/Mackie/Roland/Alesis etc. and from experience I can tell you that IZ Corp (home of Radar) is second to none. A major factor here is also that their only products is the Radar and its accessories. IZ Corp themselves claim that their support department is open 24/7 and staffed by real Radar users only.

5. I might be wrong here, but I think that the Roland unit uses some reduction scheme - and I´m not talking about non-destructive compression here. But as I said, I might be wrong on this one.

6. The Radar costs more, but you most certainly get more bang for the buck. This system used to cost over 20 grand not very long ago.

Just my 2c.

/Mats

PS
I´m just a happy Radar II user trying to help.

anonymous Tue, 05/22/2001 - 10:27

Thanks for the nice words Mats, we appreciate it.

As a brief summary, RADAR sets out to do its job better than any other unit out there- and that job is recording. It also includes the basic editing features that are adequate for most recordings.

However, we do not offer the mic pres, mixing capabilities, effects etc that the Roland (or other all-in-one boxes) do.

Hope that helps sort out some of the questions.

Cheers,

Paul
iZ

Curve Dominant Tue, 05/22/2001 - 17:37

Nevermind, I just looked at the website.

$9K, for a harddisk recorder; and according to iZ, "...we do not offer the mic pres, mixing capabilities, effects etc that the Roland (or other all-in-one boxes) do."

>>That is like comparing a Ferrari (Radar) to a Ford (Roland)!
--------------------
Joel Gette
Soundscape Digital

I dunno, Joely-boy. You're gonna have to do a little better than that.

Curve Dominant Tue, 05/29/2001 - 09:43

Exactly, Paul, thank you. The two products are both great products for what they do. I was hoping that Joel would have responded, because it was his characterization of the two products that I had taken issue with. If he could have convincingly elaborated on his view, I would have been all ears. But I'll leave it alone.

I have looked over the Radar site, and I think you folks have a good thing going. Cheers back at ya, Paul!