Skip to main content

Don't know how much (worth the cost?) up a step this would be. Please advise from 1 - 10. Where am I now and where would a Seb be?
Thanks.

Topic Tags

Comments

Markd102 Sat, 05/21/2005 - 06:44

The thing is, it's going to be different for everyone. It's a huge YMMV.

....but FWIW......

For my band's vocalist, I'd rank the preamps I own........

1 - Behringer Mixer (only use it for monitoring and talkback)
2 - 001 pre
4 - Mindprint Envoice
7 - Buzz Audio SSA1.1
8 - Sebatron VMP

I haven't heard her singing through a 002, but I have used one and would probably throw its preamps in around 4.

So in that situation the Seb is a large step up "FOR THAT PURPOSE".

However for our acoustic guitarist, I'd put the Seb at 6 and the Buzz at 8.

anonymous Sat, 05/21/2005 - 07:40

booinec,

Without knowing your entire set up, I don't know what a logical next step would be but I agree with Sebatron that you should be looking at the rest of your audio chain. I don't own a Sebatron (YET) but I do own some of the current top end mic pre's and while they do make a difference in terms of the sound it is a very subjective and subtle difference. That being said if I didn't have high quality microphones and good monitors (BM6A's), not to mention a properly tuned listening environement than it would be difficult to really notice any differences.

Considering that Sebatron gave you that feedback shows a lot of class and integrity over some of the other gear pushers that sometimes make their way on to this and other forums. Sebatron does not make mics or monitors so in giving you this advice he risks losing a short term sale in favour or providing honest feedback - way to go SEB!

In short I agree with Sebatron, in that you are probably going to hear significant differences by first improving your mic selection and monitoring. The DIGI002 has focusrite mic pre's and while they would not be up to snuff to lets say API's or even top range focusrites it will not make that much of a difference if the rest of your audio chain is weak.

Just as a side note after you have considered your monitors, microphones and preamps look at some good A/D D/A converters - but I would put those behind the preamps, good luck!

anonymous Sat, 05/21/2005 - 09:17

Seb and everyone, thank you very much so far.
Here is my situation. I hope you can put me on the right track.
I am:
1 a performing musician.
2 a singer/song writer/ composer.
3 a recording enthusiast.

In that order.

My goal is to do tracking in a home project studio, then take the product to a sound professional such as one of the folks on this board. I would like to assist (co-pilot) with the mixing, then step back and watch the mastering. We do not have the resources to record in a studio and probably never will. I will honor my limitations, but wish to do all I can up to that threshold.

I want to take a decent product to the engineer. It does not need to be award winning, but at least commercially viable. I am willing to spend reasonably to accomplish that goal. I need to know from you folks who will receive the project how sophisticated it needs to be on arrival and what equipment is necessary to make it so.

Thus far I have a Rode NTK, 2 Rode NT2-As, and a pair of Peluso SDCs.
I like the way these mics sound. I have a digi 002rack feeding a Mac dual 2.0. I can apply a Mackie CFX20 from our live gear if needed. My monitors are Event 8s.

I want my energies to be focused on the music creation and then trust the (you) pros to make that product the best that it can be.
This is not a career thing. No one in the band will be quitting their day jobs anytime in the near future. The band is keys, bass, fiddle, drums, acoustic guitar (a bit of electric at times), and vocals x 3-4. The style is folk-rock.

The question I'm asking has healthy amounts of subjectivity built in, I'm sure, but sure could use your advice.
Thanks.

Markd102 Sat, 05/21/2005 - 18:10

OK, it sounds to me like you are approaching this from the wrong direction.
If you are planning on having this mixed in a "pro" studio, then I can assure you that it will only cost a tiny bit more to do the tracking there as well. If your band is tight and well rehearsed, then it could be only adding 2-3 hours of studio time. And that's one hell of a lot cheaper than shelling out for more recording equipment.

My advice.... use what you own already to record your rehearsals..... listen back critically and use that to help you to identify any problems.

Honestly, by the time you have purchased 3 or 4 different preamps, better mics, better AD/DA, better monitors, better room acoustics etc... you will have financed 3 or 4 full CDs in a pro studio with more gear available to you than you'll ever be able to afford!

.... if you were planning to do all the mixing yourself, then that's another story, but if you are going to pay for studio time anyway.... go the whole hog and do it properly!

my $0.02

Big_D Sun, 05/22/2005 - 20:30

kats wrote: Digi002 does not use focusrite pres. They use those in their Mbox.

IMO, you won't notice any difference unless you go high end pre.

Just what do you think the Seb is anyway? It is a highend pre.

Booinec, The Sebatron is a far better pre than the marginal pres found on Digi's stuff. Digi's pres are in the same league as Mackies. The Seb and others like it are worlds apart from that run of the mill gear.

anonymous Mon, 05/23/2005 - 07:45

Thank you very much for the replies so far. I don't know if this helps or not, but the sound I want is the one captured on the Crosby & Nash titled cd. The best representation I hear is on the track "Lay Me Down".
The 30 second sample on iTunes is actually enough to get the flavor.
How do I track to end as close as home / project studio possible to that sound as the finished product?
I also appreciate the advise to do it all at the studio. There are some projects where that advice will be followed to the T.
Some projects I will do by laying track after track, building and experimenting as I go. For these, I need to do it without time ticking away.
Again, I appreciate the benefit of your counsel.