Skip to main content

Hey guys,

I have a laptop without firewire ports. It has 3 USB 2.0 ports, a serial port and an ethernet port. I have been trying to figure out if it would be possible to use my digi002r with this computer in someway for a live mult-track recording using REAPER.

The Digi has S/PDIF and optical output in addition to the firewire. I am open to buying buying adaptors/hubs or anything else that may be possible. The cheaper the better though.

Thanks for your help.

Topic Tags

Comments

dvdhawk Mon, 07/05/2010 - 14:35

bouldersound, post: 351125 wrote: How about a PCMCIA Firewire card?

I have a PCMCIA card with 2 Firewire 400 ports, and another card with 2 Firewire 800 ports. Both work like a charm and each cost under $30. You'd only need one, if you have a PCMCIA slot.

But I'm more concerned whether you'll be able to use the Digi hardware into Reaper?

Boswell Tue, 07/06/2010 - 02:45

Don't go the USB-FireWire adaptor route - that's doomed to fail. All you need for your laptop is a PC card (not PCI) that has at least one FireWire 400 port on it. These cards have been through many generations, and you don't say how old the laptop is, so the actual type may be PCMCIA, CardBus, ExpressCard or one of the other variants. You need the correct card type for your computer, but try to get one that uses the Texas Instruments (TI) FireWire chips.