Skip to main content

I tried to do a vocal track last night using the sidechain of my isa 428 into the rnc. It sounded like it was distorting quite a bit. I then tried the same thing using the side chain into a marshall compressor I have used on vocals a lot in the past, it was totally distorted. Is it best to just go from the output of the preamp into the compressor into the DAW, or am I goofing up something in using the side chain? Anyways, I bought an XLR to 1/4" adaptor today and will try it tonight. If anyone has some suggestions on how to hook the preamp and compressor up, I would be your best friend. Thanks
justin

Comments

Cucco Wed, 12/08/2004 - 10:51

J-Madd:

Not to be too picky, but the ISA 428 doesn't have sidechains - it has inserts, there is a small difference. However, in either case, you shouldn't wind up with any distortion (at least none that you don't want) by patching a compressor in.

The only think I can think of is the make-up gain. Don't try setting this too high - only make up the gain that you are losing by compressing, otherwise you could be sending way too much voltage into the returns on the 428. That's really the only conclusion that I could think of...

J...

Cucco Wed, 12/08/2004 - 12:15

You know what, I just thought of something else thanks to your follow up question. The RNC is unbalanced; the outputs, both 1/4" and XLR on the ISA are balanced - this might be part of the problem too. I would suggest a level converter. However, in response to your second question, there is no difference between an XLR balanced out versus a TRS balanced out. However, the XLR out on the 428 is an actual post gain output, where the insert is a pre-gain insert.

J...

Kev Thu, 12/09/2004 - 12:26

That's one way of checking the source of that distortion.

Sometime people mightl use an attenuator to get from the +4dB down to the -10dB required by the next unit.
Then you have the issue of getting from -10 back up to +4dB.

Some units can trim and have enough make up gain to get by and it can also depend on original signal levels.

A pour quality gain make up unit in amongst high quality gear is a bad thing so doing without a dedicated -10dB to +4dB converter could be better. Each situation must be decided on , in context.

hope that makes sense.

The 428 is probably a hot unit and the RNC is not as hot. The RNC can handle livevl that some other -10dB units can not.
I suggest lowering the level into the RNC by lowering the gain at the front.
Then make use of the 428 output to get some level back.

I hope you don't now tell me you want to feed a 2inch with hot tape and need to pin the needles ... :)

J-MADD Fri, 12/10/2004 - 11:34

It is great when things work out, I was getting kinda nervous that I would end up with songs minus vocals :cry:

I like the combo of the 2 pieces. The RNC doesn't seem to impart much of a sonic signature to vocals, but that is ok because it does its job compressing just fine. So yeah, its cool.

I do rock stuff mainly so the next comp I buy will probably be a little more dirty sounding. But, once again for straight singing its a nice clean sound.

justin