Skip to main content

Hi...this is my first post, and I just wanted to start out by saying that this site is a fantastic resource. However, I searched the old threads, and still couldn't quite get an answer to my question. So here goes:

I am just getting into recording drums, and I already have a beta-52 for the kick, a few sm-57's, and a BLUE berry mic (mostly for vox). I am looking for a pair of small diaphragm condensers to go through my Universal Audio 2108 pre as overheads, and then I was going to run the BETA 52 and sm57 (kick and snare) through the 002 rack pres (yuk, but what can I do). I was not looking to spend a lot of cash on these, so I was looking at the studio projects c4's (i love the price!), but I'm wondering if I should just cough up the money and step up to something midrange (AKG c451, Shure SM*! territory). I have ZERO experience with small-diaphragm condensers so any help is much appreciated.

Here's the sound I'm trying to achieve: My kit is a mahogany 1959 vintage Ludwig (mid size kick, 22", i believe (as you can tell I'm not a drummer). I am very much into old dub records and such, but I want a crisper sound on the cymbals (not so muddy or muffled)- I want the hihats and ride (zildjian mastersound 13" and custom dry ride--K-ride) to really sound sharp and crisp, but not overboard. I will most likely be adding other drum sounds on top of the live kit (I produce down-tempo- dub-jazzy-hip hop beats).

I guess the question is, will the pre really do the trick with a medium quality mic like the c4, or should I step up into earthworks, Neumann range? I don't really have the money, but gotta make the right decision up front. If anyone has a suggestion for the specific tone I'm trying to achieve, please let me know. THANKS A MILLION!

p.s. the cheaper the mics I get, the more money I can throw into taming the room!

Comments

sdevino Fri, 05/28/2004 - 04:43

First I would reverse your pre-amp usage. Your UA is a relatively muddy pre-amp (I have one) and I would use it on the snare and kick rather than the overheads.

The 002R (which I also have) would be my first choice given your gear for overheads. The 002 are not the quietest pre's in the world but the are VERY clean which I think is very important to get clear beautiful stereo imaging of the cymbals etc. For overheads I would use a pair of omni SD condensors as a first choice. Something like Earthworks SRO (on a budget) or QTC30 if not on a budget.

But the key to your organic drum sound is going to be placing a room mic (in omni mode) somewhere in the room at least 10 feet from the drums. This one channel will make the kit sound real.

Steve

x

User login