Skip to main content

I record on a tapco 6306 mixer and record files using an AT3035 mic, and adobe audition software. I'm told that my studio sound is fuzzy and has a pronounced echo. I never hear that in my studio but that's what the other person is telling me. Any suggestions?

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Fri, 01/09/2015 - 15:18

"fuzzy" and "echo" are two different things. "Fuzzy" could mean distortion is happening somewhere, perhaps your gain structure is skewed and you are over-driving an input somewhere; "echo' could be the sonic thumbprint of your room's acoustics, which are being recorded through your mic along with your voice or instrument, or, it could mean - from a layman's point of view ( people who tell you these things and maybe not knowing how to describe it using proper audio terminology) - that you are using too much reverb or delay in your mixes.

Hearing sound a certain way that is acceptable in your room, and then having it sound different or poor on other systems outside the room points towards an imbalance in your room's acoustics.

For example, if there is too much natural low end in your room, then the room is lying to you, causing you to not add sufficient bass frequencies to your mix because you think you already have enough, which would then result in bass-shy mixes when your song is played in a more accurate room and/or on a more balanced system.

Perhaps if you posted an example of your work we could help you more.

audiokid Fri, 01/09/2015 - 23:01

Okay, I listened to the mp3 you sent Admin. You have a excellent voice. Its sounds a bit bottom heavy (HPF would fix that up in a jiffy!) and possibly a touch of compression would be helpful to smooth-en out some slight proximity issues. It tends to get a bit uneven but its so good, don't get me wrong. Simple tools and its there, imho.

If I was you, I would pass this onto a Mastering Engineer just to polish it up now.