Skip to main content

Hye u guys

I'm looking at purchasing these mics :Audix F12, and Marshall MXL V57M Mic for Micing drums. Audix for the kick and MXL for the overhead.

Im using Tascam us 122 and my question is will i harm my mics if i use phantom power on one (the other doesn;t need it) need help!

also what are some good mic within resaonable price that are either dynamic or conders that will do the job. thanx in advance

Topic Tags

Comments

RemyRAD Thu, 11/22/2007 - 21:25

Jarci, most of us use a myriad of both condenser and dynamic microphones on drums. Some consoles have phantom power switches for each input. Some, like my mid-1970s vintage Neve have phantom on all of the time for all inputs. Or, phantom off for all inputs but only if you unplug the phantom card from within the console. That's not practical for me.

Right, microphones CAN GET KILLED because of faulty microphone cables, especially when plugging in or, unplugging microphones. The most susceptible to damage are ribbon microphones. Since that little aluminum foil ribbon looks more like a low amp fuse than does a speaker coil like dynamic microphone. So, you can use both together, if you're cables are in good shape.

As in most of my drum recording, Shure SM57's and/or Sennheiser's MD421's are my favorites. I've recorded with AUDIX's as well, even though I don't own any. They sounded fine to me.

For overheads, Shure SM 81's or AKG414's are generally my favorites. But when taking live split feeds, from PA companies, I sometimes have no idea what microphones I'm getting or, mixing, unless I have a good video feed to watch. In that respect, I don't care what microphones are being used. If the meters move, it works. If all I get is a single overhead and a bass drum microphone, I can work with that.

Everyone knows I'm simple
Ms. Remy Ann David