Skip to main content

Been lurking around these forum's for a while. Finally able to start building my mic closet slowly. Looking at building up a set of drum mics, starting with some studio projects c4's and a set of Sennheiser e604's. Wanted to ask if anyone had any strong feelings for/against these mics? Thanks in advance

Topic Tags

Comments

dvdhawk Wed, 06/16/2010 - 21:30

Nice to have you among the non-lurkers!

I'm sorry I can't compare for you because I've never used the c4's, although I do have a SP C1 which I like just fine.

But I REALLY like the e604's on toms. They're nice and round sounding with plenty of punch. If the tom sounds reasonably good, the e604 will do a nice job capturing it. I don't think it's nearly as versatile as a 421, but for the tom sound most people are looking for 98% of the time, it's almost foolproof. Again, assuming the drum is well-tuned. It may be a shade dark on a snare drum for my taste, but it might fit certain styles and snares.

I hope that helps. Hopefully someone will pop in that has both.

dvdhawk Thu, 06/17/2010 - 20:22

Hi Pete,

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Audix or the Sennheiser. They both sound good. Have a good look at the mounts and see if you prefer the small size of the e604 mounts or the versatility of the bigger Audix mounting arms. The trade-off for the compact size of the e604 mount is limited positioning options, but they sound good from there and keep a low profile.

Another thing I'll just throw out there... a drummer I work with regularly uses maple hoops on a lot of his drums. He takes off the standard metal hoop and replaces it will a rock maple version approximately 1 inch [25mm] thick x about 1.5 inches [38mm]. His drums have a great warm tone with the maple. We love the sound of the e604s on his toms, but we can't use the stock Sennheiser mounts because of the dimensions of the maple. So in those cases we have to use different clamps to hold the mic. With the Audix clamps you would have a little more flexibility in your set-up.

More food for thought.

Dave

Spase Sat, 06/19/2010 - 16:54

The mounts on the 604s are great, unless the toms are on those "floating" brackets. Most of those are to thin to take the sennheiser 604 clip mounts - though sometimes you can get them between the brackets and the rim(which probably defeats the floating). Otherwise, they are a great tom mic.