Skip to main content

Hi everybody,

I already know that a good pair of monitors is the one that we're used to and can produce good mixes with, meaning the ones that you find detailed and well balanced no matter the device where you listen to them (Ex:crappy mono device, car stereo, home hifi, clubs, etc...) .

I currently own a pair of Yamaha MSP5 monitors working together with a Mirage LF100 subwoofer . I could train my ears to live without the sub but i find it a more comfortable way to listen to my mixes since the SP5s are a bit discreete on the low frequencies .

Despite what i said before, i would like to have a pair of different (larger) monitors as way to make an A/B comparison in my home studio . So, i selected three pairs that i found interesting for one reason or another, and for which i would appreciate you to share your opinions or experiences on them :

- Yamaha MSP10 - had the brief chance to audition them ; seemed well balanced and detailled and better on lows than the MSP5s ;

- Mackie 824 - also a brief audition ; also detailled but maybe a bit punchy on the lows ;

- Fostex PM-2 - don't have the opportunity to audition them ; few people that have them seem to like its output ; specs are interesting .

Any feedback will be greatelly appreciated . Thank you for your time .

Regards
Paulo Ribeiro

Comments

anonymous Wed, 11/24/2004 - 18:49

Olá Paulo.

Sou do Brasil, por isso vou postar em português ok !

Olha, eu possuo um par de MSP10 há 3 anos e te digo sem medo,
q é o melhor monitor disponível.
Trabalhei por 2 anos com a Genelec 1031 A, fantástica também, mas um pouco 'mentirosa', principalmente nos agudos.
Tive a oportunidade (infelicidade) de mixar na Mackie HR824 tb.
Essa está fora da minha lista. Graves exagerados (de mentira!),
agudos 'ardidos' , horrível...

Agora, as MSP10 são muito fiéis, 'what you see is what you get',
e têm um som muito agradável. Agudos macios e graves aveludados, numa resposta mais flat que as concorrentes e com muita potência.
Você precisa ouvir como essas caixas tocam !!
Diria que servem até para Main Monitor...

Por isso te falo, ouça com carinho todas as caixas e veja qual a que vc melhor se adapta. Na minha opinião é MSP10 com certeza !

Um abraço,

anonymous Thu, 01/27/2005 - 15:01

Mackies

I have a pair of Hr824 and LOVE them. I work mainly on radio commercial and some post for video and film. They are a very flexable set of monitors that will allow you to vary the spread to fit the room/setup you have in your studio.

Hope this helps, it's just my 2 cents.

Jay Shields-1stbaseman
1stbase Productions
Denver, Colorado USA