Skip to main content

Hello fellas..
I'd like to buy a good vocal microphone for my studio.I can spend between 200-400$.
Someone please can help me out?

Comments

KurtFoster Mon, 04/14/2003 - 22:46

Audio Technica has just re released the ATM 4033. At $399 USD, with a shock mount & wood case (from BSW),
- http://www.bswusa.com - it is a great all around mic for vocals and instruments. It has a .75" diaphragm and is considered a medium diaphragm mic. Tight pick up pattern, nice crispy top end and ballsy lows. I have had 2 of these for several years and I love them. Great fit and finish and a great company to do business with. Very good customer service if you ever need it. Kurt

anonymous Tue, 04/15/2003 - 02:51

I agree with Kurt. The AT 4033 was the first condensor I bought and it was a great choice. It is very versatile for any acoustic source. It is a mid size Diaphram ( I'm sure Kurt didn't mean 1.5 dia) I believe it is 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch. Years later even after buying many others including tube mics I still go back to the 4033 again and again. It is just a really good mic. The only problem I have ever had with it is on sibilant female voices. The upper end has some sizzle to it that does'nt work some times with really bright female voices.
For a more neutral sounding multi pattern you may look at the Studio projects B-3 (about$160). It is another versatile mic you probably won't ever get rid of either. I love mine!

Davedog Tue, 04/15/2003 - 16:33

Oh these guys are so right! I love both of these mics...I just got my SP B3 and wow!!!...I have used the 4033 on a number of occasions throughout history and it is everything that has been alluded to...very open and bright...the B3 is a bit darker but it has a quality to the top end which reminds me of an older Neumann...not as much detail(what does) but very very nice and for the price....fa-ged-a-bou-dit!...the ADK Area51 or the new 'hemiheads'model 'st'ADK's are quite stunning for the price...another great vocal mic just in yer price range is the Shure KSM32..only one pattern but it excells at what it does...good luck....

KurtFoster Tue, 04/15/2003 - 16:51

Tom... ooops! You're right. Thanks for pointing that out. I meant .75" dia... The meds must not have kicked in yet when I wrote that! :D I went back and edited that! he-he-he-he.. BTW, I am happy to say that Alan Hyatt has taken some time out of his busy schedule to contact me regarding his sending me some review pieces. I am expecting a T3 multi pattern LD condenser and a VTB -1 mic pre soon! I will keep you all posted! Kurt