Skip to main content

I notice that the new Focusrite ISA 220 has 2 symbols on it's advert side by side;
'24/96 ready' and the 'Pro Tools' logo.
Maybe this means things are going to be sooner rather than later?

Renie

Topic Tags

Comments

Greg Malcangi Thu, 11/15/2001 - 01:06

Hi Renie,

96k has been rumored for PT for quite a while but from past experience there is usually only a month or so of notice before Digi actually releases a major upgrade. I'm hoping we'll see it sometime next year, probably later rather than sooner.

I wouldn't read too much into the Focusrite logos. Focusrite have a long history with Digi, not just as a 3rd party plug in developer but also as a component manufacturer for Digi's C24 control surface. I think the PT logo is more to show Focurite's relationship with Digi and take advantage of consumer's awareness of PT. In other words, just a marketing ploy.

Greg

anonymous Thu, 11/15/2001 - 05:05

Greg

Yes that's probably the sensible conclusion.

I think the ad is a tad misleading currently then.

I hope we'll have something in the first quarter of 02. Even if only to consider it from a distance for a while. But patience is a virtue.

I think your's and Jules' forums are very useful. Very different styles of moderating and both excellent.

Thanks

Renie.

anonymous Wed, 11/21/2001 - 19:17

Hi Renie. I agree with Greg. Also any analog device is 96kHz "ready" in a sense. I noticed in quite a few reviews, not just of Focusrite , but other channel strip type products, that they often advertised "optional AD converters" though none of the review examples were provided with these installed. The reviews were done months, sometimes a year after the products were advertised as being so "ready".I always thought that a bit "suss".
For me, I'm not sure there is such an advantage anyway of having to deal with yet another type of converter.These things are supposed to not colour the sound, but people do talk about the difference between say the Apogee's and the Genex's, and in terms that could be read as the converters adding a "quality" to the process.
I would probably not use these in built
converters, and run analog outs to which ever
"global" converter unit I decide on for AD conversion. One more link in the chain that can cause a difference in sound is not what I'm going for personally.Unless there has been some serious work to match the "optional" converter so as it becomes part of the desired sound of the unit - but they're colourless...aren't they?
BTW have you seen the convuluted work around that Bob Clearmountain proposes, whereby the current Pro Tools can be used, albeit in a very basic way, for 96kHz stuff?
It's in one of Digi's "news" bulletins, Who Use's Pro Tools or whatever it's called.
Kind regards

anonymous Thu, 11/22/2001 - 12:45

Originally posted by stedel:
H
BTW have you seen the convuluted work around that Bob Clearmountain proposes, whereby the current Pro Tools can be used, albeit in a very basic way, for 96kHz stuff?
It's in one of Digi's "news" bulletins, Who Use's Pro Tools or whatever it's called.
Kind regards

Which is interesting when you think about it.