Skip to main content

I first started hearing about the 414EB on these forums, (especially how favorably they compared to the new 414's) so when I saw a chance to buy a used one cheap, I grabbed it.

Having had the opportunity to check it out a little in the studio, it has a lovely sound, but perhaps subjectively a little dark. (I don't have the test equipment to do an objective test.) Could be because i'm used to the hyped upper mids of the "modern" mics in my collection. I was just curious if this is "normal" for this mic, or if perhaps mine needs some work.

I'm sure i will find plenty of uses for it - horn micing, guitar/bass amps or various drums certainly seem worth experimenting with. I just probably wouldn't try to get a sparkly pop vocal with it. (But then again, I have lots of stuff that will already do that).

Any 414EB veterans out there want to weigh in?

Topic Tags

Comments

Guest Tue, 11/27/2001 - 15:22

Hmmm - actually it looks a lot like my 414B-ULS - silver on front side of the grill, black on the other, black body. Says "P-48" above the pattern select, "C414 EB" on the back. Apparently owned by a NY entity called "The Rental Company" whose phone number (212-265-4400) is etched on the side.

So, did I rip myself off of $500 through my own ignorance? I guess that is the inherent danger of buying vintage gear with no knowledge. You don't want to lose out on "golden" opportunities, but it's something of a crap shoot when you don't know diddly. Of course, it was through a dealer that values my business, so if you tell me it's a piece of shit not worth anything, i can probably convince them to void my sale.