Skip to main content

Hey all,

were taking delivery of a couple of AMEK 9098i consoles and I'm not to sure of what to expect.

Does anyone in these forums have any experience with the 9098 boards? I'm wondering about the sonic quality as well as how user intuitive is the automation and "virtual dynamics"

were replacing an old Neve VR with the amek, ive been very depressed over this (been with Neve for ages) Anyone have anything good to say about the amek? :)

Thanks

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Sun, 07/08/2001 - 08:11

Private Studios in Champaign, IL has an AMEK Galileo console with virtual dynamics; it's the next step down from a 9098i AFAIK. I've done a fair amount of work in that room, and the sound of the console is excellent (definitely a sonic cut above SSL, etc.). The automation and virtual dynamics work very well and I don't think you will be disappointed with the 9098i.

Guest Mon, 07/09/2001 - 17:23

welp...

the crates were cracked open today and I got my first look at the buckets of modules...

physically the surface felt reasonably decent however the damn color scheme has to go...white writing on baby blue buttons!!!! good lord I couldnt read the writing until I was within 12 to 16 inches from the button... I know I know not a big deal once your used to the board, but ugh sheeesh...

Only thing that felt strange was looking at the internal components it had the appearance of the "assembly line automated console building machine" just looked like stamped out components that were slapped together rather than the older built conoles with that "personal touch" hehe im already whinning

cant wait to let my ears do some listening

:)

Jon Best Mon, 07/09/2001 - 18:21

I can see where he gets 'warm'- it seems just a tiny bit rolled off in the top end, or at least lacking hype on top. I liked it.

Originally posted by atlasproaudio:

Really? I didn't notice much harmonic distortion of any type, it sounded pretty clean to my ears. That is what you meant by "warm?" YOMV.

Regards,
Nathan Eldred
Atlas Pro Audio, Inc.
http://www.atlasproaudio.com

Guest Tue, 07/10/2001 - 04:04

Well 'scenaria' in a few days time, when they're up, running and installed...may I suggest having a roll of gaffers tape in the control room when you first use them. That may help you keep your jaw off the floor.

Aside from the fact that a 'V' series desk, while having the "N" word on the side, is not a 'Neve' desk by any stretch of the imagination.

The 9098i is without question the best sounding 'large format/does everything but wash windows' console I have ever expereinced, so sonically superior to any of the 'V' series desks it's like comparing an API to a Mackie.

I usually track on an 8078, or an A-Range (sometimes both). The 9098i is the only 'large format' desk that can come close to keeping up with the full and rich [dare I say 'large'] audio that passes through those desks. An SSL 9000j can't get close on a sonic level, the 'V' series desks can't wipe it's ass.

The first thing that struck me about the desks, other than the audio, was the ease of use of the automation. With only a 'cheat sheet' and an assistant, I was not only getting into some fairly sophisticated automation moves...but doing "offline" commands and "splices" within 4 hours of first meeting the automation package (which is like record time for me...I still have no idea how to operate the computer on a 9000j and I've logged a bunch of hours on them...the 'track ball' is handy too...far harder to lose than that fucking 'light pen').

I have found the 'VD' [virtual dynamics] sound pretty damn good, though I will confess that I tend to overuse the internal 'auto panner'...I guess it's because I can :D

Get back to us when you've had the chance to play with them a bit. Something tells me you're going to find it a pleasurable experience.

Guest Tue, 07/10/2001 - 08:35

Heh, the J's automation....GOD I spent 2 days with an ssl trainer a few years ago and got nothing out of it, probably bacause I had the flew and all I could concentrate on was blowing my knose and getting some sleep.

Anyhow, I took a look at the power supplies for this thing today, OH my friggen GOD!!! 3 units per bucket plus one for the meter bridge....we have a total of 17 power supplies between the 2 boards. unbelieveable amount of power....

definately am excited to hear it....I have a 5 week project booked on it starting in august, should be fun.

seeya

Guest Tue, 07/10/2001 - 18:44

Ive heard nothing but compliments about them, just spent a LONG day helping the techs carry in the buckets. HOLY SHIT they weigh a TON litteraly!

I just want to go back to placing the simple little LIGHT microphone and using my ears....no more lifting for me heh.

They were telling me that a 9098 was installed in Japan that carried....now get this.....172 module, yes 172 I/O's heh I was laughing my ass off.

anyhow im defintaly developing a new found respect for these boards watching them being put together.

Guest Sat, 07/14/2001 - 19:01

WOW

Tonight we finally got the mains hooked up, opened up 18 faders and turned the main volume up to MAX. COMPLETELY SILENT!!! good lord, not even a hiss...thought the damn thing was broke at first but evidentaly thats how quiet the mix bus is.....:

Yes...as I write this I have a big ole grin on my face.... the patchbays should be tied into the outboard shit by the end of this week.

cant wait :)

anonymous Sat, 07/21/2001 - 13:12

The 9098i is a remarkable piece of equipment. Your biggest problem with it will be finding something to print to. You will have a large therapy bill trying to reconcile the sense of loss that you feel every time you leave a mix behind. You will never, ever hear it reproduced as it sounds coming off the bus.

The automation is great. All the bells and whistles of the J, without the hassles of that insane computer. The fact that all your automation parameters live in a simple checkbox along the edge of your automation page instead of being buried way too many lightpen strokes/menus away is the kind of difference that permeates the system. Very powerful but simple and elegant.

As for the aesthetic. Wait until you sit down and mix for the first time and see how simple it is to get a handle on and keep track of. It is very easy on the eye under long hard workloads.

From a service/tech perspective, there is nothing to it. Keep the supplies and console well-cooled and you won't have any problems whatsoever. In the early days, the software was very much under development and presented problems, but for the las two years, it's been under control.

The only thing I don't love is the dynamics- actually just the compression- the gates are fantastic. I would love to see them hire a real dynamics guru to rework it.

anonymous Wed, 07/25/2001 - 19:00

Soooo jealous....

Hey - as a side query, what are you using for your power amps? They must be pretty quiet too.

TIA
Julian M

Originally posted by scenaria:
WOW

Tonight we finally got the mains hooked up, opened up 18 faders and turned the main volume up to MAX. COMPLETELY SILENT!!! good lord, not even a hiss...thought the damn thing was broke at first but evidentaly thats how quiet the mix bus is.....:

Yes...as I write this I have a big ole grin on my face.... the patchbays should be tied into the outboard shit by the end of this week.

cant wait :)

anonymous Thu, 07/26/2001 - 16:40

Hi Scenaria,

Only nearfields? No big mamajammas to deafen the clients with? Now I'm really jealous! The JBLs round here running of Crowns are ... ahem ... loud. (and Just Barely Listenable). Sorry - have not heard the new KRKs just the older ones. Me like Genelecs! Auratones! :D

Julian

Originally posted by scenaria:
Julian,

They were nothing unusual...a pair of BM15A's of which I thought I may have liked but after spending some time with them im not feeling very comfortable. Anyone use krk E7's or E8's?

alphajerk Fri, 07/27/2001 - 07:45

sceneria, try out the ADAMs for nearfields, it will bust yo nutsack open with the boner youll have with the 9098i. keep a towel nearby. when i heard the 9098, it was like a revelation of mixing boards, when i heard the ADAMs it was that same revelation for speakers. unfortunately i cant afford a 9098 but i can afford the ADAMs. life aint SO bad.

anonymous Sat, 09/01/2001 - 12:31

Some of us here are talking 9098 and others 9098i. I gather these are different pieces of gear, would anyone experienced with both models care to describe the differences?
Would the racked 9098 range fairly match the console path and the PurePath rack do justice to its origin in the 9098i desk (as described on the Amek site)?

Guest Sat, 09/01/2001 - 13:58

Originally posted by JS:
Some of us here are talking 9098 and others 9098i. I gather these are different pieces of gear,would anyone experienced with both models care to describe the differences?

The original 9098 desks were a 'split desk' design, in other words, they had a large "monitor section". The 9098"i" is an "inline" desk, in other words, it works with a dual signal path within the module...so one fader sends level to storage, and the other fader sends level to the mix you hear [which can also be stored, but as an entire balance, not as individual tracks].

Would the racked 9098 range fairly match the console path and the PurePath rack do justice to its origin in the 9098i desk (as described on the Amek site)?

The "Pure Path" is about as close to the console as I've heard, it also functions relatively close to the function of the 9098i desk. It has a 'hardware' compressor as opposed to the desk's software driven "Virtual Dynamics", but frankly, I haven't found this to be a bad thing. I've found the mic amp in the Pure Path seems to have a bit more balls [at least to my ears] than the 9098 rack modules, and the equalizers to be roughly similar [though as a package, I have found the Pure Path stuff superior to the regular 'rack units'.

As always, YMMV