Skip to main content

I recently got a US428 to use with Sonar 2.0. It looks like everything is working correctly but I don't get any sound from my headphones. I plugin my guitar and the input LED's light and sound wave show up on the screen but I can't hear anything. I don't have monitors yet so I have not been able to check through anything but headphones. I tried to use the bundled Cubasis as well and I had the same problem. Any thoughts?

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Tue, 04/23/2002 - 10:56

A couple of thoughts right off...check the TASCAM site and make sure you're running the current drivers. The older (v 2.x) drivers don't fully support WDM, which SONAR needs to run audio right. You want the 3.0x drivers....check here: http://www.tascam.com/products/us428/downloads.php

Another thing....while you're there, download the updated manual and the troubleshooting doc. It could be that your driver install didn't take (you didn't mention what OS you're running, etc), and that doc will give you a list of what files should be where.

And finally...download the Windows optimization articles for your OS (there's one by Dave Casey for W98 and one I wrote for W2K and XP).

anonymous Mon, 04/29/2002 - 13:32

Alright. I just finished building a new computer yesterday and have new/related problems. I am running XP professional and have the 3.09 drivers. Now the US 428 dosen't even show up in my device manager or Sonar audio options. I just can't seem to get the drivers to install. I downloaded all the documents you recommended and no change. Thanks for your help.

anonymous Mon, 04/29/2002 - 18:46

You've got to give me more to go on....I can't see your house from here.

Is this a fresh XP installation, or did you install over an existing OS? If so, what was the original OS? Did you reinstall the drivers? If you downloaded all the docs I recommended, you must have more info....are the files where they're supposed to be? What happened during your install? Have you posted on the Tascam BBS as well?

anonymous Mon, 04/29/2002 - 20:56

I've tried not to overwhelm you with too much info but, here's everything I know about my computer:

I just built it this weekend so XP was installed fresh on a blank hard drive. Im running an ASUS P4B266C Mobo, P4 1.6a, ATI Radeon 7000 video card and a Phillips PSC 704 seismic edge sound card because I haven't been able to get the US 428 to work. I just reinstalled the drivers again and they seem to have taken this time. I checked all the drivers in the troubleshooting section of the Tascam manual and they appear to be in the right place. I also downloaded your optimization guide and made the necessary changes there.

Where the situation stands now:

The US 428 is set up in SONAR and controlls everything but there is no audio. Do I need some sort of amplification for playback or should I just be able to plug the headphones into the jack and monitor from there?
Also, the inputs don't appear to be working. I can arm and start a track recording but the signal led dosen't light up and nothing appears on screen. (yes, the volume on my guitar is turned up)
Once again any help would be appreciated. I'm very frustrated and ready to get rid of the unit. It seems like it would be great if I could just get it to work. Every time I turn it on some things work and others don't. The isn't any discernable pattern I can figure out.