Skip to main content

I recently bought an old Allen & Heath System 8 1616, sixteen track mixer for decently cheap because it didn't have a power supply. After asking around online I figured it would be about $100 to $200 to either buy a replacement or have one built, the schematics are available. So anyway, I finally got in touch with the only electronics repair shop that I've been able to find in Atlanta, and they told me it could cost about $1100! Is this reasonable? The board was only $400. Does anyone know of a place online that will build/replace one? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Comments

Big_D Mon, 11/15/2004 - 20:41

You could always build it yourself. Not only would you save money but you would learn a new skill in soldering, learn to read schematics and gain some experience with VO meters and osciloscopes. You don't have to buy the O-scope a technical school or college near you might let you use theirs. If you can't do that try a HAM radio operator or just have an electronics shop tune it for you. You could build it on a breadboard and do point to point wiring instead of a PCB (a prototype PCB will cost more than the power supply) and then mount it in an appropriate housing.

Or you could spend $1100

anonymous Tue, 11/16/2004 - 15:02

Another option might be to purchase a Lab, or Workshop bench power supply - high quality Hewlett Packard types are always available on eBay cheaply - but a new one from an electronics catalogue won't be too expensive.
Ensure that you get one capable of producing balanced, or bipolar voltages (positive, zero volts and negative) - voltage +15, 0, -15 at up to at least 2 amps.
All you will then have to do is connect it to an XLR to plug into the mixer.
At a later stage you can add another supply to give you +48 volts for the Phantom supply - but you will have lots of noisy control potentiometers to clean before you need this.....!
I have schematics - if you need XLR pin numbers, or other information - but I am in the UK - so can help only via the ether!