Skip to main content

Hi everyone,

I just won the auction on a CBS volumax limiter (model 411) over at eBay.

Do you know any resources on how to hot-rod these units? I'd be happy enough if I could dial in attack, release and threshold. Any hints are warmly welcome.

To Audimax owners: Are there tasks where the Audimax particularly shines at?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Comments

kooz Wed, 04/10/2002 - 09:05

Haven't used one in at least 5 years, but as I recall, they are quite good for printing VERY hot without going over, or clipping....I used 'em on really dynamic vocals, for riding fairly smooth Bass parts, and on one occasion, a room mic - because the guy played on 11 w/ his plugs in, but whispered when it came to communicting with me on the other side of the glass.
As far as "hotRodding" goes, I'm not qualified to respond to that part of your question, other to point you in the direction of a qualified tech that you trust. One question, though: Why would you choose to modify something that in some circles is considered vintage/classic audio? I would never buy it from you if you were to ever sell it.

mig27 Thu, 04/11/2002 - 00:22

greg,

thanks for your feedback.

Looks like I've chosen the wrong term with "hot-rodding". my intention is not to alter the sound but to get additional control - so "modding" seems to be more appropiate.

For example, I customized my two telefunken U373a compressors to get control over attack time and threshold. It would be quite a waste to touch the transformers or anything else in the audio circuitry...

best.

michael