Skip to main content

Hi all
I just bought an AKG C426 -I couldn't help myself! I've been lusting after one of these for such a long time.

One of the reasons I bought this is that the pattern box on my C34 was modified by the BBC to turn it into an MS decoder (the voltage sent to the bottom half is permanently set to 120V to keep it in figure-of-eight), and the cost of a new box from AKG is rather horrific so I figured I might as well buy the mic as well.

I think both mics are amazing, but I don't really have a good enough memory of the sound of the 426 to make comparisons in my head.

I'm just a little curious about how they compare to each other -I've never heard them on a similar source.

What's really annoying is that I'll be away when my 426 arrives :evil:

Cheers!
John

Topic Tags

Comments

FifthCircle Mon, 09/05/2005 - 08:32

Those 2 mics are completely different sounding... So different, it is almost hard to quantify how different they are. Now the good thing is that the pattern box and cable for the 426 will also work on the C-34 so you'll have both.

The C-34 I find is a much brighter sounding mic than the 426. The 426 has a "bigger" sound (probably due to the fact that it is a large diaphragm mic) and it always seems to work in any room that I put it up in. In bad rooms, things sound good. In good rooms, things sound fantastic.

When you get the new mic, put the two up next to each other, and change cables. It will be quite obvious...

--Ben

John Stafford Mon, 09/05/2005 - 10:17

Thanks Ben
It's great that I'll be able to use both in all pattern combinations. My impression of the C426 was what can only have been described as big and expensive sounding.

I know the C34 sounds a little brighter but I think it has a wonderfully lively sound, and it's absolutely fantastic for vocals.

Really looking forward to playing with the two of them!

Cheers
John

x

User login