Skip to main content

I have made my decision on a board and now I am thinking of rather than recording straight to a DAW using my current MOTU 828 that I would get an Alesis HD24.

Reason being I could work much faster on a tracking session. I was using ADATs before and I kind of like the immediacy of just recording straight to tape. The HD24 sort of replaces 3 ADATs and at 24 bits to boot! Also no sync or rewind waiting time.

After the tracking I would probbaly dump into DAW via the MOTU 828 and then edit and/or even mix. I can always dump back to HD24 for mixing via my console as well.

I only have one MOTU 828 right now and would like to avoid buying more AD/DA and that is why I see the HD24 as maybe a solution.

Come to think of it I don't even need the MOTU to pass the HD24 tracks back and forth. It uses Ethernet or an optional Firewire interface.

My logic is that instead of buying another MOTU 828 (I don't need a MK2) I could spend a bit more (OK about $1000 as the 828 is going for about $500 used) more and get the HD24. I would use the DAW for editing and possible mixing.

jim

Comments

anonymous Mon, 06/07/2004 - 11:45

I use the same method, except with a mackie sdr24, but this recorder stores each different take as a separate boadcast wave file, so when I go to dump them to my computer, tracks that have have punches in them are in multiple files, which makes them a huge pain to piece together. What I have been doing to avoid this is bouncing each track to other virtual tracks in one pass, so it is all one file (ADAT out and back into the recorder so it doesn't have do to any more converting). Is there an easier way to do this? Or do other hd recorders like the hd24 not store the files in little pieces like this?

Thanks for your help,
Charlie