Skip to main content

I just ordered it because this is a deal i cannot refuse! 166 euro's (180 dollars?) for a 2x5 band parametric eq from Alesis. So what's the catch? Does it contain 30 year old transistors or is Alesis desperate for customers coss this seems too good to be true.

http://www.Alesis.c…"]Alesis PEQ450[/]="http://www.Alesis.c…"]Alesis PEQ450[/]

Topic Tags

Comments

dpaton Sun, 08/24/2003 - 18:04

The catch is that the EQ is done digitally, and therefore there is a small delay inherant in using it, around 15-20ms. It's just enough that if you mix a processed track back in with an dry one, or with one EQ'd with a different unit, you'll get comb filtering and things will sound odd. As it is, sometimes that little bit of delay is enough to goof somethign up.

The PEQ's comp brother (CLX-440) isn't bad, but suffers from the same delay problems. If I had a spare $150 to throw around right now I'd try one out, but I don't. Besides, I think my DBX160s might feel offended :D

My adivce would be to get it on soem sort of demo, or get it from a store with a proper 30 day return policy. It's certianly not a mastering tool, but it might be just fine as an insert on a drum bus.

-dave

[ August 24, 2003, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: dpaton ]

anonymous Mon, 08/25/2003 - 02:33

I'm not a tracker and i never record music. I only record single sounds at a time so i don't mind the delay. For 160 euro's i'm really not going to any trouble of returning anything. This is just a nice little addition to what i have.

I'm going to use it to record my drumkit. It will be usefull to eq the drums while recording. And again, i don't record music, just single sounds so this thing will be quite usefull for me.

You guys are right about it not being a mastering tool. I really don't expect anything under a grand to fulfill that purpose. Normally i would use the graphic EQ in Soundforge to eq my stuff. I think this one will at least give me the same results, but with hands on control ofcourse which i like a lot more :)

Thnx for replying guys :)

[ August 25, 2003, 04:42 AM: Message edited by: DmDreams Sound Design ]