Skip to main content

I have a home studio on a budget. I have been semi successful with my current setup. I plane on getting a new A&H firewire board which should help increase quality/fidelity of sound.

Anyway - I currently have a pair of Alesis M1 620's plus a M-Audio BX-10s sub that I mix with. I refrence my setup, before I mix to make sure it's still "right" using commercial songs.

My post is to gather suggestions/comments about my monitors. I end up with good mixes but generally it takes several "fixes" after the "listen-to-it-on-as-many-systems-as-posiible" tests. Granted, my room is not the best but I have looked at it with a spectrum analyzer and noise test. It's not too bad and I am aware of the issues. This is why I refrence to commercial tracks before mixing.

So any comments - such as mid-heavy, hi-heavy, bass heavy, whatch out for this or that, try this with that set up etc. Just curious as to what people think and yes, maybe someday, I'll buy a set of NS10's but for now I have to make the best of what I have.

All comments welcome! I'm not a JP22!

Matt in GA

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Fri, 03/19/2010 - 12:50

Hi Mat,

I had the same problem. I had Dynaudio passives & a set of NS10's & struggled to get a decent mix. In the end I tried the active Genelec 8040's & was utterly blown away. Amazing tight & defined bottom end & superb clarity throughout the frequency spectrum. My mixes now tend to be spot on first burn! If you can, consider getting your dealer to let you try them in your studio on a mix you think's good.....you'll be surprised.

The advantages are amazing; to give an example, I find that using an EQ now takes literally seconds to correct & reign-in problematic areas.

Hope this helps.....

Kindest regards,

David