Skip to main content

Okay, how about some input from people who have used the A&H GS3000, or perhaps you have heard "stuff" about that console.

I was interested in the Soundcraft Ghost... and have heard pretty much nothing but good things about it, save a few counteropinions which seem to be present here. so then how about the A&H GS3000 as an alternate choice of desk? The two units seem to be fairly comparable to the point of being almost identical in features... so I guess it is fair to draw a comparison between the two units.

This question is intentionally vague, the way I want it. If you've used the GS3000 before. you can tell me anything about it; likes or dislikes. I'm fishing for opinions about everything before I go plopping down that kind of cash on either the Ghost or some other comparable unit.

Comments

KurtFoster Thu, 12/30/2004 - 15:12

Are my previous comments on the Ghost are what you're referring to? If so, ... please let me say that I think you have misinterpreted my meaning. I do not think it is a crappy mixer .. it's really fine for what it is and for the price point it is aimed at. It ain't a Neve or a SSL though ... and why use any mixer to mix if you are recording to a DAW unless it is better than what the DAW can do, which the Ghost or the GS3000 isn't? With a DAW, you do not need to pass signal to the recorder through a mixer, only monitor out of it. Anything from a small passive line mixer to a Mackie SR series 4 bus, depending on the features you need, will do just fine for a fraction of the price ... save the money for the front end where it will really make a difference.

The Ghost and the A&H GS3000 are indeed very much on par with each other as well as any other console in that price range. Which one "sounds better" is completely subjective but the truth is all of these mixers represent a compromise in sound vs price. Unless your buying a large format console like a Neve or SSL, where price is not a criteria in the design, you will run into this issue.

Unfortunatly, there is no free lunch. If a product is very good at what it does, the price will always reflect that, regardless of what it costs to design and build it ... To think that technology will deliver you from the high cost of quality audio equipment is a mistake. If EveAnna Manley or Doug Fearn discovered a way to build wondeful pre amps for 2 cents each, they would still charge what a compariable sounding pre was selling for .... that the nature of business ... charge what the market will bear..