Skip to main content

can you use for example an A&H gl-2200, which I know is used mostly as an FOH, as a recording/studio console? I am looking for a good analog board for recording...but is something like this tuned for live only?

any thoughts?[/code]

Topic Tags

Comments

TeddyG Sat, 04/30/2005 - 16:43

If it has the inputs, outputs and whatever else you need and you can get it cheap in good shape, used and certainly if you ever plan to use it for stage/live, what the heck, nice board...

If you're just thinking about boards in general, you might want to consider others that are more specifically designed for studio use.

TG

anonymous Sun, 05/01/2005 - 19:42

cool

thanks guys!
i dont knwo much about A&H, except that they are highly regarded for FOH.

...they are, right? Good quality?
in other words...how do they stand up next to Mackie? Soundcraft?

what league are they in? i honestly do not know.

a little background: i just had 2 songs mixed. one on an older yamaha o1v console with outboard gear into a tascam MX 24, and one entirely in Pro Tools. both songs were tracked the same way (mics, drums to tape, etc...)
well, the console song BLEW away the PT song in terms of quality, high end cripsness, and body...in general "livliness".
so here i go...looking for a console to do future songs on. and i saw this A&H gl-2200 for about a grand. from my research, this seems to be a good price. and it seems solid.

so, now that you know the WHOLE story...thoughts?

i couldnt live without PT for edits...but man...I just know Ill never beat analog. this is the first time it was as apparant to me...

TeddyG Mon, 05/02/2005 - 08:16

1. A&H quality is world-class, you'd have to get very nice outboard pre's to improve enough to matter, with each pre channel maybe costing a grand or more.

2. Still, I'm missing something here... What is the O1V and the MX24 - I'm not familiar? And, how did you get your mic's, etc., IN to Pro Tools, if "without console"? It sounds like the "outboard gear"(Or lack of same?) may have been the "difference" here, maybe better pre's, etc., or a "better" console, or a shorter, cleaner(Maybe fewer conversions?) path to the final mix, not "a" console, perse...

Just a bit confused,

TG

anonymous Mon, 05/02/2005 - 10:09

ok, sorry. here's the history of the session:

1. tracked drums for 3 songs in a world class room running through Neve, API pres, monitored through an SSL, into a 24 track Studer. top notch mics.

2. dumped those drum tracks into pro tools.

3. did all overdubs using grace 101's, avalon+distressor for vox, TC Gold Channel for conversion, into Pro Tools. very decent mics (TLM 103, Shure KSM44, 57's, AKG 414)

4. all edits in Pro Tools. wav editing, some muting, nudging and shifting.

5. one song was then dumped into a Tascam MX-2424 from Pro Tools, then pumped through the Yamaha o1v console, using outboard gear like Distressor, dbx 160, 1066's, Tc Finalizers, TC G-Major for FX, and other non-ban-breaking gear. Finally printed to a Masterlink

6. one song was kept in Pro Tools due to the high track count and mixed entirely in there, using Wav Plugins mostly, summed, then printed to a Masterlink.

7. the "outboard" track smokes.

8. the PT track sound good, but not as hot and clearly not of the quality of the outboard track. I was rather surprised of the drasticness of the difference.

and there we go!

is $1000 a good deal for the A&H GL-2200?