Skip to main content

Hi to all!
I need to buy a mixer console so I was seeing several brands and models but dont have the experience to decide which is best for Im looking for on it.. so there you get in! :D
I was looking for a mixer to use it as a CD/DVD playback and vocal mics..
So what do you think about those mixer which is better in durability quality, preamps, etc.. I dont want to compare amount of channels just overall quality..
Im not going to use it for mixdown coz I have a Digi System with Pro Tools for That!

Are we talking about high pro mixer quality or there are better brands for that ?
Allen Heath PA20 OR Mackie Onyx 1620

Second Question: What PowerAmp (i.e. 200W/8ohms) is suitable for the mixer ? What do you think about XLS Crown Models ?

Thanks,
Demian.

Topic Tags

Comments

rockstardave Mon, 09/17/2007 - 07:32

Demian79 wrote: Hi to all!!
I need to buy a mixer console so I was seeing several brands and models but dont have the experience to decide which is best for Im looking for on it.. so there you get in!! :D
I was looking for a mixer to use it as a CD/DVD playback and vocal mics..
So what do you think about those mixer which is better in durability quality, preamps, etc.. I dont want to compare amount of channels just overall quality..
Im not going to use it for mixdown coz I have a Digi System with Pro Tools for That!!

Are we talking about high pro mixer quality or there are better brands for that ?
Allen Heath PA20 OR Mackie Onyx 1620

Second Question: What PowerAmp (i.e. 200W/8ohms) is suitable for the mixer ? What do you think about XLS Crown Models ?

Thanks,
Demian.

if you're just using it for CD/DVD playback (and maybe a few vocals) then it doesnt really matter too much.

i have an onyx 1640 and i love it.
i've used A+H mixers and love them.

if you were getting into some recording, then your choice would matter more. where will you be using it? how many people will the vocals be addressing?

as for the power amp... uh... match your power amp to your speakers. the mixer doesnt give a F what kind of amp you use. once the signal leaves the mixer it's moot.

get yourself some speakers and base your power amp on those.

-dave

moonbaby Mon, 09/17/2007 - 10:04

I own both Mackie and Allen & Heath products. Both sound fine. FWIW, I have watched A&H products overall build quality decline over the last few years. At the same time, the Mackie Onyx line has enjoyed rave reviews on this site and many others, especially regarding mic pre's and build quality. I realize that the A&H has a lot of bells and whistles, but don't be misled by that. The Onyx also has the capability to be upgraded with their Firewire interface, and you may find that useful in the future for your recording needs.
As far as power amps are concerned, there are many good models and lots of crap, as well. QSC, Yamaha, and Peavey all manufacture reliable amps that won't break the bank. Crown does, too, but their cheaper gear has tended to be more problematic over the years.