Skip to main content

So I have never had the chance to work with these but I am in fairly desparate need of 2 good pres and EQ would be a huge plus as the EQ on my Sountracs board is quite lacking. So I have the chance to purchase 1 or more of these for $1000 which sounds like a great deal to me. I am doing all my tracking to PC DAW and mix on my board. I want something to use on drums and vocals mainly doing rock/R&B music. The other option I was looking at was the Vintech 1272 or finding a couple Telefunken V72s. Let me know what you think. thanks!

Josh

Topic Tags

Comments

MMazurek Sat, 02/09/2002 - 04:11

I picked up two a few years ago for $1300 each.

I would buy two more for $2000 if I came across them. I use them on Vox, snare, kick, etc...
The eq is wonderfull, and the pre is very clean and fast with transients.

I also record to digital and use some Manley, Avalon, TLAudio pre's to round out the collection.

Hope this helps.

anonymous Sat, 02/09/2002 - 07:31

Originally posted by coldsnow:
Is there a difference between older 9098's and the new ones?

For all I know, there is only a cosmetic difference.
The new front panel is silk-screened while the old one has a plastic surface glued to the aluminum (or steel?) front panel.

$1000 for a used 9098 EQ sounds like a good price.

/Mats

anonymous Sat, 02/09/2002 - 21:55

Originally posted by Julian Standen:
[QB]LA & BABYFACE said they used it on Janet Jacksons voice, in an interview they described it as a 'favorite'
QB]

Yeah, along with Auto-Tune, the Roland VP-9000 (like she could actually sing those harmonies?), and liberal vocal comping.

Sorry, I just get annoyed at "Living Legends" (didn't she get some such award last year on the Billboard Awards show?) that can't even sing live. Same goes for her sister Michael.

MadMoose Sun, 02/10/2002 - 07:58

I like the EQ on the 9098 but I don't really like the sound of the preamp on a lot of things. I'd grab it for $1000, if you don't like it you can always sell it and not loose money and you might even make a little more. I have a pair of Dakings that I like a lot and use almost everyday on something.