Skip to main content

I know it's basic, but I need to know:

Will an Audiophile 2496 or Echo MIA interface card serve as the sole sound card for all my computing uses, or will I still require an additional standard card for game sounds, video sound, and basic sound requirements?

I'd rather not add a standard card if I can configure my system to handle all sound aspects with my recording card.

Thanks for the education!

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Mon, 11/25/2002 - 22:37

well you can with an echo gina24, but i don't recomend it. reason for this is that windows sound files are sampled at 8 and 11bit and when your sound card activates one of the sound files, the sound cards rate drops to match the sound file. Next thing you know you got crap recordings. so make sure to turn off your window sounds!!! better off keeping the all that other shit for another computer anyway and keep your music pc seperate.

anonymous Tue, 11/26/2002 - 06:06

Most soundcards will have a default sample and bit rate that you can set for them to revert back to when idle. I know that the audiophile has this feature. Regardless your soundcard will accomodate whichever signal is passed to it from the system. Your project in your audio software will determine what happens with the card anyway for recording. It is easy enough to check by playing some windows sounds, open up a project and look at the soundcards control panel to see what sample rate and bit rate it has set itself to. The only problems I can forsee (other than putting games on a daw which is really not advised as they will ultimately make changes on your system that are graphics oriented upon install) is that some windows drivers are not as well written as their asio counterparts and can sometimes cause plosives upon playback and stop of sounds. This used to be a problem with the m-auido drivers, but they fixed this a year or two ago. Again, there will not be any problems with using either of these cards for all sounds...

Opus2000 Tue, 11/26/2002 - 13:18

Flat
If on Win2K or Xp you do NOT need the digital cable...all you need to do is enable digital audio on the CDROM properties and the CD WILL play through ANY soundcard you have set to be the main Windows audio player!
Only on win98 or lower do you need the digital cable from the CDROM to the soundcard
Peace
Opus

chrisperra Tue, 11/26/2002 - 21:41

i've had a 2496 for a year. it works great.it doesn't have any built in sounds that games sometimes use but it will play anything . cd,s mp3's ect that are in your computer if told to. the only thing i noticed is if i crank up the buffer to the max setting when i'm online and get you've got mail or even the windows xp tune upon start up. you will get some crackling. through time i realized it was the buffer. a lower setting works perfectly. somewhere around 512.

chris perra

anonymous Wed, 11/27/2002 - 09:47

ok people let me try to clear things up as to what i said earlier... when in 98, there was a flaw in echos drivers that when the event of a sound file that was below the bit rate you set your gina24 was played, would also drop the bit rate of your gina24. This was fixed with their driver updates and is not a problem in XP. Not sure if there's still a problem with that in 98 since i've been on XP for a while now. That's why it is always recomended to turn off windows sounds, and because its not needed to run any applications.