Skip to main content

hello!
i've been producing electronic music as a hobby for some time now, but i never had monitors so now i'm thinking about buying a pair. since i do not have much to spend i think the Behringer truth 3031a would be a good decision (about 360€). i know that they are not the best, and i know many people don't like Behringer products, but from what i've read on the internet until know, the truth 3031a seem to be a good deal for the money... i've not had the chance to hear them until now, so does anyone from you know them and can tell me something about them? do you like them or are they really not good?

my second question: if i get new moniors, which is the best way to connect them to my macbook pro? i thought i could buy an adapter and connect them directly to the audio out of my laptop, but some people now told me i should better invest more money and buy an audio interface... is that really necessary? i do only produce internally with logic, i don't record something... what would be the advantages with an interface? would the sound be better?
if it's really necessary, which one should i buy? i'd like to have a firewire interface, but there are not as much out there, so usb would be okay too! i thought about something at the price of the m-audio fast track pro for example!

thank you very much!

Comments

boxcar Sat, 05/01/2010 - 10:23

if your not recording anything externally, then no real need for an interface.
if you get a stereo 1/8" pin jack to two 1/4" cables, you can monitor from your soundcard to your speakers.
i have my internet computer connected that way to my board and it sounds o.k when i listen to u-tube and stuff.

boxcar Sat, 05/01/2010 - 11:00

MiStErJaC, post: 347419 wrote: ok, but how will it work, if i want to use the monitors for producing and mixing? that's what i want to do!

well im assuming your using some kind of app. like garage band or some other mac related app. to record through USB or maybe using virtual ints.
would need more info on that, but whatever your working on in your computer, your soundcard would relay the audio to your speakers via the connection from the audio output jack on the back your computer to the speakers.

what app. are you using and how are you recordind the electronic music?

MiStErJaC Sat, 05/01/2010 - 14:59

MiStErJaC, post: 347410 wrote: i do only produce internally with logic, i don't record something...
thank you very much!

i use logic studio 9! :)

MiStErJaC, post: 347419 wrote: ok, but how will it work, if i want to use the monitors for producing and mixing? that's what i want to do!

i meant if it will sound as good as with an external interface...

sry for the misunderstanding, i think my english is not that good... :)

i don't record anything, more sequencing... but i use a midi keyboard!

thanks!

boxcar Sat, 05/01/2010 - 15:52

it won't sound as good as a good interface but it will probably sound as good as a cheap interface.
it's the imputs on a stock card that sound terrible, not so much the output.
i would try it first and if it's not good enough in your opinion, then you can by an interface.
something simple (2 ch.)but good quality. usb or firewire. you never know, you might need to record an external analog source in the future.

boxcar Sun, 05/02/2010 - 09:33

MiStErJaC, post: 347456 wrote: ok thanks! what about the m-audio fast track pro? it's about 140€.

what adapter should i buy for the monitors if i don't buy an interface now? 3,5mm jack to xlr or 6,35mm jack?

i don't know m-audio or macs for that matter.

i would get 3.5 to 1/4" for the monitors.

MiStErJaC Mon, 05/03/2010 - 00:16

have you actually heard these monitors? i'm asking because i read very much about them on the internet, and there seem to be two groups of people. the ones who have these monitors and nearly everybody of them says they are really good for the money. the other group thinks all behringer products are S**T and therefore also says the monitors are...

TheJackAttack Mon, 05/03/2010 - 00:44

I guess the real question is good compared to what? Computer speakers? Once again, the cheapest monitors I can in good conscious recommend are the NHT M00. And yes I've heard them. Have you? Have you compared them to real monitors? No, you can not expect them to be Genelec or JBL for that money, but you have to remember what the goal is and not just spend money because it is in your pocket.

anonymous Sun, 05/23/2010 - 19:30

MisterJac,

Quite a few people's opinion's on Behringer monitors are based on lingering bad internet press,and/or their past experience with previous Truth series monitors.
I have to admit myself,that I did not have a very high opinion of Behringer....but there was a point where I really needed to save some money & I had read nothing but good reviews on the Behringer Truth 3030 series,so I decided to give them a try.

I don't have the 3031's though-but rather,I have the 3030's and as someone who also owns Adam A7's & M-Audio CX5's..I am here to tell you that the Behringer Truth 3030's are the most amazing monitors I've ever heard for $300(USD)!
They have clean amps in them,with tight & punchy bass..along with detailed highs and a very large stereo field.They are also built very well-as they are very solid and there's plenty of volume & bass,so you probably won't need the bigger 3031's.

If however,you're still uncomfortable with the idea of purchasing Behringer,then if you're willing to spend more,I strongly recommend either the M-Audio CX5's,or the new Adam A3X's.

Hope this helps you out.

-Elwood

anonymous Mon, 05/24/2010 - 06:49

MisterJac,

Look...I can tell from JackAttack's attitude that he never listened to the 3030 series,so don't pay him any mind.
I OWN the Behringer Truth 3030's and I've done a lot of critical mixing on them in the past 6 months and they are very balanced speakers that perform amazingly well & I've always achieved great results with them.
To be perfectly honest with you,anything made before the 3030 series did not impress me and even the new Truth B1030A's aren't nearly as good as the B3030A's....so that being said,the Truth 3030 series is a particular line of monitors that Behringer got right.

I write,compose,produce & record all of my own music and I have 3 different workstations to make music with and I've written hundreds of songs in the last 5 years,both vocal & instrumental and I've owned several different pairs of monitors in that time.
I've owned Samson Resolv 40a's,50a's & 65a's,KRK Rokit 8's,Wharfedale Pro 8.1's,M-Audio BX5a's
and none of them measured up to the Truth 3030's.
Like I had mentioned in my earlier post,I currently own the Adam A7's & the M-Audio CX5's and the Truth 3030's are comparable to them.

If your on a tight budget & these will be your first pair of studio monitors,then I highly recommend the 3030's as I think they'll be ideal for you.
Since they're good enough for me with my experience,then logic dictates that you will be very happy with them.

-Elwood

MiStErJaC Mon, 05/24/2010 - 07:10

cool, good to hear! i only was sceptic, because everyone seems to have this prejudice about behringer, that they only produce crap... but it also seems, that everyone who actually owns these monitors is really happy with them! so i think i'm going to think about my decision again, maybe i'm going to buy these! unfortunately no store in my environment has them, so that i could listen to them, but i would really be interested. so i think from my point now, i'm going to buy the behringer 3030a or the samson rubicon r6a (i haven't heard them either, but they also seem to be very good for the money).

one more question: you really think, they are better than the rokit rp8? i've heard them, and they sound really good, i think...

anonymous Mon, 05/24/2010 - 07:57

Boxcar,

You are completely overlooking my point,as I have mentioned,the 3030's-unlike other Truth models,are an exception,as I have read nothing but good reviews on them,which is one of the main reasons that I decided to go with them.

Yeah,my new Truth B1030A's has a blown tweeter in one of them...it's the first time I've ever had a tweeter blow up on me,but then....a soldering joint came loose in my Samson 40a's and when I sent it in for repairs,the *ssholes at Samson sent me back a pair of refurbished 40a's.
I also had bought a defective Samson mixer,which I returned,but despite these experiences,I am not going to trash everything that Samson makes.

In case you weren't aware,most everything out there is made in China,so you run the risk of something going wrong with many brands.

Again,let me re-emphasize my point,the 3030 series are well reviewed and I've had no problems with them.I also have a Behinger UMX610 midi controller and that also happens to be built well & I have not had any problems this item either.

-Elwood

MiStErJaC Mon, 05/24/2010 - 08:06

boxcar: yeah, i've read about this a lot, but is this also true for their monitors? i read that there have been product lines in the past (keyboards, equipment etc) where this was true, but i never heard, that the monitors are bad quality...
but i think i'll not get the chance to listen to them, cause no store got them, so i will probably go with the samsons...

TheJackAttack Mon, 05/24/2010 - 14:16

+1 Boxcar.

@Elwood:
You have no idea what I have listened to or not. If someone can or cannot hear the difference in Behr*** versus Adam or Genelec or whatever it is not for me to beat that horse to death and you are certainly welcome to your opinion. However, to discount what I have stated is a bit silly. I've seen/heard lot's of Behr*** gear since 2000 and have not encountered anything that I would term quality even if there are a few pieces here and there than can be made to be useful.

Listening is what I do. It is what I was trained to do. I have performed in very prestigious professional symphony orchestras because I can listen/blend/match etc. I have horn players and musicians of all type study musicianship with me. I've been at this music thing since 1977 so I have a bit of experience at it. I'll simply state again, that I can hear the lack of quality in the Behr*** gear.

Like it or not. It does not matter. The best modus operendi is, "buy once cry once."

TheJackAttack Mon, 05/24/2010 - 15:58

I think if you search around the forum you will find that below a certain price point, these budget monitors are pretty much the same.

Elwood does have a valid point that most of these of whatever brand are manufactured in China or from parts made in China.

Your real problem is being unable to hear them yourself. Also, if your room is not treated or the room has significant nodes then it doesn't matter whatever which brand you purchase. They will all have issues. As far as build quality, I think Samson may be better than the Behr*** but that aspect is indeed just my opinion.

anonymous Mon, 05/24/2010 - 17:16

JackAttack,

It's not my intention to take this thread off topic & get into a heated debate with you,as I am merely trying to point out very passionately,that the Behringer Truth 3030 series,is the grand exception to everything else that Behringer has manufactured,monitor-wise.

The fact that nowhere in your post,did you state that you actually l-i-s-t-e-n-e-d to the 3030's,just confirms my strong suspicion that you never bothered to listen to this particular model.
I just wanted to give MisterJac a clear choice,that is unbiased....but I guess people's overly negative bias against Behringer as whole,will just counteract anything I have to say.
I am being perfectly honest here....there is quite a lot from Behringer I don't like and there is a very spotty history to Behringer,but among the current choices in the budget arena,the 3030's are worth looking into.

I think the Samson Rubicons are one of the better series of monitors that Samson has made,but the 6" Rubicons are a bit too thin in the low end,for my taste.

I don't want to cause any more indecisiveness for MisterJac,so I'll just leave it up to the rest of you and I'll stay out of it.

-Elwood

TheJackAttack Mon, 05/24/2010 - 19:36

Nothing heated here. I've listened to these monitors and I just disagree with the evaluation of them. If they work for you then great. That doesn't bother me in the least.

That is really what the OP needs to do. Go hear the different options for himself and also treat his room so whatever he purchases has the best chance of working to their potential regardless of brand name. After all, the primary reason for dissatisfaction with monitors in my not so honest opinion is that the room they are in is not well designed for acoustic reference.

And no, you probably will not get much Beh*** love around here.

x

User login