Skip to main content

I connect my outboard gear to the Analog in with an XLRF-AES cable(http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DigiSnXLRF/), two optical cables(http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ILS1001M/), and if I'm using the clock in Pro Tools, do I need a BNC cable from the 800 to the 002? Thanks for any help.

Comments

anonymous Fri, 03/04/2005 - 06:35

Great idea if Digi would have put a bnc connector on the 002 line but they did not. Clock will be supplied to the Rosetta thru the adat link, however, I would set the clock to external in Protools and let the rosetta be the master clock, also thru the adat. I run clock from my rosetta to the 002R and it works great. I also now monitor from the outputs of the Rosetta.
The only problem I have is the output levels via jumper from the Rosetta are not at a semi pro level, either -10 or +4 while I would prefer 1 volt to =-16 ish in Protools.
Apogee makes a cal pot mod for theRosetta 800.
To quote apogee sales "We do offer a 'trim pot' modification of the Rosetta 800. The cost is:
$372.90 for a bank of (8x8)trim pot for the analog in and the analog out
sections of the Rosetta 800. If you would like to order the trim pot mod,
please give Apogee a call at 310 915 1000. Ask for sales."

anonymous Tue, 03/08/2005 - 22:23

Thanks for the help Dave, and it would be nice if you posted an update after you get your trim pot mod and let us know how it works.

However, I have one more connection question. When connecting my pre's and compressors to the Rosetta, should I connect them in chains, or by themselves? If I connected each pre and compressor to a different input on the Rosetta, I would connect a mic to a pre, set that channel for an input in Pro Tools, and put a compressor as in insert in Pro Tools. Would I experience too much latency while tracking? Or should I connect my mic to a pre which is chained to a compressor connected to an input on the Rosetta, and select that as an input in Pro Tools? If I did this, how would I use the compressor as an insert on a track while mixing? I know I worded this terribly, but hopefully some of it makes sense. Thank you

anonymous Wed, 03/09/2005 - 06:03

If you need compression on tracking go Mic/pre/compressor/rosetta . I would then repatch the compressor to use it as an insert while you are mixing. You would get too much latency running it thru twice, not to mention all the excess conversions. This is why patchbays were invented. I am just coming to the conclusion that I am getting tired of laying on the floor behind my rack repatching and its time for a patchbay in my studio.
The cal mod is back ordered, I will post when I install it.

x

User login